Taniquetil

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
We mentioned Taniquetil in the Pelóri thread, but we need to discuss how we want to depict the place where Manwë and Varda have their thones. We will have several scenes here. I'm thinking a rather open space, the view is important. We can see the world from here, and it is close to the stars.
Architecture? Structures? Some arches again, perhaps. Reminding us vaguely of The Timeless Halls, but not like it's meant to imitate them but more like an hommage.
Then a couple of seats, nothing fancy, no real thrones.
Kind of simple.
But it will have to be beautiful. What do we need?

Yes I just read a passage in 'The War of the Jewels' where a mansion was mentioned, with 'domes', so apparently more than just one dome - probably more than two, but that's just my guess.

I always imagined Taniquetil looking something like the Church of the Twelve Apostles in Thessaloniki, but with the bottom level replaced with a cloister wall.

View media item 75
If we do have a cloister wall anywhere in Valinor, we should pay homage to Tolkien's Oxford. I think his college was Merton, but I like New College's cloister best.

View media item 77View media item 76

I always imagined Taniquetil looking something like the Church of the Twelve Apostles in Thessaloniki, but with the bottom level replaced with a cloister wall.

View media item 75
If we do have a cloister wall anywhere in Valinor, we should pay homage to Tolkien's Oxford. I think his college was Merton, but I like New College's cloister best.

View media item 77View media item 76
I just get an error message when I try to look at your pictures, I'm afraid. Not sure why.

if i was to draw a sketch for the taniquetil setting... how should i do that?

all i hsve so far is a vague idea of something like a greek temple on mount olymp... any thougjts or sugestions? anything that might help me or point out problems woyld be welcome..

by the way, one question to the mods: eouldn't it be better to move the worldbuilding/architecture tjreads to the settings sub-forums)

Okay, some Sketches for Taniquetil...

this is going to be a bit complicated. It's an entire mountain and it#s not one settlement or building but a number of quite distinct structures on this mountain, first I have two peaks, Taniquetil main peak and Amon Uilos, second and lesser Peak.

At the Peak of Taniquetil there's somewhere below the highest Peak a Platform, and there's Manwe's Throne -he#s looking westwards - and behins, within the Mountain, his Hall. This Structure is Wilmar and it's way above the clouds.

A bit below is Gonlath, the Rock where the Moon is fastened and a thin bridge leading to a Hall lying on a mountain-plateau a bit more donwardss... on that Plateau lies Ilmarin proper.

Ilmarin Proper is composed of a vast plateau and a great temple-like building with guge Domes, this is Manwe's Court. There are few lesser Buildings, like for example Erinti's House, which is also on the same platform as Manwe's Court and can be reached by a stair.

these Are the Places that are way hig up in the mountain within the Glacier-region and the snow-line.

slightly beneath the snowline - connected to Ilmarin by a winding Stair - lies Ignge's Hall. It's not a City but rather a palace-lice structure with a dome set on a plateau overlooking the sea from the west. There are a few lesser buildings, but it#s not a huge city.

followingf the winding Stair down into the Valley we come to a Guardtower and an unnamed Vanyar City (Vanyamar?) , this actually IS a real town, with many lesser buildings. This is at the Tree-line so there are forested Areas surrounding the City. A road is winding down to the Valley eventually splitting up one road leading wqestwards towads Valmar, another one leading south. There are many small settlements in the Valley and alonf the mountain beneath the Tree-line, but there are only small villages, hamlets, manors, villae etc.

Taniquetil from the South:
index.php

Overview: Taniquetil and the valleys below, seen from Above:
index.php

Taniquetil:

1st seen from Above
2nd: cross section - detailof the peak with Wilmar & Gonlath
3. cross section general, seen from north
4, 5 &6: Overview Wilmar & Manwe's Throne & House; Gonlath

index.php

A bit beneath Gonlath and connected to it by a slim bridge is Ilmarin, containing Manwe's Court and Erinti's House:
index.php

Note: these are plans and show a rough version of possible interiors, they would have a roof, in fact a few Domes.

connected by a steep stair many miles beneath Ilmarin lies Ingwe's Hall:
index.php

it's a palace set on a small plateau or terrace, there are few lesser buildings surrounding it. It's definitely not a city of the size of Valmar or even Tirion, not even a proper town, but there's a larger Town/City some miles below on a mountain saddle and many tiny settlements spead over the mountain's wooded face and the entire valley...

Back