Teen Estel

Turin is the most handsome non-elf, ever. And he's highly charismatic; people -- even elves and outlaws -- want to follow him. So pretty darn good-looking.

Dior has always been an afterthought in my mind, I admit. But he is Dior the Fair, and son of Luthien. So he's got to be pretty handsome, too.

Will we be taking into account the fact that slender actors --with a decent fitness regime-- are indeed able to "bulk up"? That could help widen our options, especially if the only thing lacking is build.

Having been a teenage boy, I'd say that this is a bit more difficult for adolescents than adult men.

The premise of the show 'The 100' is that all of the main characters are under the age of 18 when the show opens. In their society, all crimes committed by adults are capital crimes punishable by death. But if you're under 18, you can be punished by imprisonment.

And therefore...Finn is meant to be a 17-year-old on the show. So, while I am certainly not suggesting that we cast a 30-year-old actor as a teenager for our show, it is worth pointing out that Thomas McDonnell was cast in that role when he was over 25. It's not unusual for teens in a high school based show to be played by 20-something actors and actresses. It's also a bit ridiculous as the show goes on for several years and they're still meant to be 17 years old. Just because Dawson's Creek casting happens, doesn't mean audiences don't mock a show ruthlessly for it.

So, while it would be ideal to select a teen, selecting a young 20-something is also probably acceptable. It's easier for an actor in his 20s to bulk up for a part than for an actual 17-year-old to do so.

Having been a teenage boy, I'd say that this is a bit more difficult for adolescents than adult men.

No, no, I get you on that. My cousin has been trying to shape up for some time now, though I will admit his approach is a bit more casual. That being said, I did teach a band of (formerly) rather scraggly teenage boys who only discovered the gym last year and have changed so noticeably since then I'm still in a little bit of mild disbelief...

Aramis Knight plays a bit of a bratty teenager on 'Into the Badlands.' So, he's been in fight scenes, and he's been the boy who looks clueless in them. And he can be a bit mouthy. His storyline in the beginning of that show is similar to what we're doing with Aragorn in the frame this season (not exactly, of course, but he's a 'special' boy and too young to be a main player himself.) Not sure he has the right look for young Aragorn, but the actor's only 18, at least.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2026536/

BAD_PP_0515_0384.jpg

Why? We’ve been looking for more rugged young men. These last two...well they are the opposite. We need someone who looks inclined to believe that he’ll make it on his own in the wild, and not be entirely delusional.

Why? We’ve been looking for more rugged young men. These last two...well they are the opposite. We need someone who looks inclined to believe that he’ll make it on his own in the wild, and not be entirely delusional.
As a contrast to Hamilcar?

Well yes but not to a degree that makes one question why Estel would think he’d make it in the wild.

I’m fine with Estel not being bulky but I think we should see some hint of what he’s going to be. He could be tall and strong without manly build or whatever, having a boyish lean body, but neither of those last two signals “this guy will be Aragorn”. Yes, he’s lived a sheltered life, but not in a modern way. Yes, he will see battles a Thorongil and that will add toughness but it can’t all be added later, some of it has to be there already.

None of these young actors feel like they could grow up to be Aragorn, in my opinion, regardless of how good actors they are. But maybe I've become blind...

Hmmm...I hear your frustration. It is certainly true that body structure is pretty inherent; having a big neck or wide shoulders is something you're born with, even if it looks different in a baby than in an adult. I have well-defined calves that have nothing to do with exercise and everything to do with genetics. Part of the problem is not knowing a lot of child actors, so having an extremely limited pool to choose from. One obvious approach would be to find a photo of 16-year-old Viggo Mortensen, and then use that as a concept for what 'boy who will grow up to become Aragorn' might look like. But his acting career didn't begin until he was 27 (as an Amish farmer in Witness in the barnraising scene), so I'm not sure where to look for that.

Viggo in Witness:
MV5BZDNkOTA3MjEtMDk0Ni00NjRmLTk5MTctMzVhNzc5OTcyMDA1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_.jpg
MV5BNDQ2NGI1MWQtM2IxYS00MzIwLWExNmQtNjBhNTBmNGU1NTM4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_.jpg

I think this is a photo of school-age Viggo?
1ygv.jpg

source: http://www.viggo-works.com/index.php?page=2950

Dakota Goyo (current age 18) played the Young Thor in 2011's Thor.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2023672/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t47

MV5BMWE3Y2JiYjgtN2VjZS00NTdhLTkzZDgtZGFlMjZlODAyNDZmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_SY1000_SX1500_AL_.jpg

Personally, I'd rather cast an 18+ year old to avoid working with a child actor, but of course that's not necessary. I just think there are some...issues...with involving kids in show business.

Aramis Knight plays a bit of a bratty teenager on 'Into the Badlands.' So, he's been in fight scenes, and he's been the boy who looks clueless in them. And he can be a bit mouthy. His storyline in the beginning of that show is similar to what we're doing with Aragorn in the frame this season (not exactly, of course, but he's a 'special' boy and too young to be a main player himself.) Not sure he has the right look for young Aragorn, but the actor's only 18, at least.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2026536/

BAD_PP_0515_0384.jpg
Maybe Hamilcar?

Back