Tengwar mode for Devnagri

Vibes

Hey, I am attempting to create a tengwar mode for Devnagri scrips (script used for languages like Hindi and Marathi. Or even Sanskrit) If anyone is interested or even has a pre-existing source, do tell me. I'll put my attemp up here once it's done.

Hope someone finds this interesting!

Very exciting project! I don't think I've seen one before, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I'll poke around and see what I can find....

Swedish: https://www.forodrim.org/daeron/md_teng_primers.html
German, Finnish, and Russian (scroll to the bottom): http://at.mansbjorkman.net/links.htm

I know I have seen a French mode before as well, though I am forgetting where now.
And apparently the 'Artist and Illustrator' book has some doodles Tolkien wrote in Tengwar in Latin.

According to Wikipedia, the existing language modes don't include Hindi or Marathi:

Last edited:
Ohhh. Thank you. I will try to post my half done work in a while. If there is anyone who is able to help, please do!! There are parts I am confused by, so I'll need all the help that there is, as alas, I am no Linguist.

20220620_092852.jpg

This is the amount of work I have done till now.
I got some input from someone on reddit but i need to decipher it yet, so I'll try to make that one too, but i need this to be completed as well!

If anyone has any ideas please go on.
Also, for people who are not familiar with devnagri readings, I'm sorry I couldn't put the IPA. It's just that IPA sort of confuses me. But I'll try to add them in the next image .

Finished working the Tengwar mode that can be used for Marathi and maybe also Hindi, if I am not missing any details. Might try to copy a small bit of text next. Also need to make this fair.

p.s. I still need to figure out a pronounciation guide for this TT

20220621_163909.jpg

ISO/IEC 10646-2 is the international standard for computerized character sets, including not just the 26 letters of the English alphabet and its ten numerical characters, but all the letters and characters in all the world's languages and all the periods, commas, dingbats and special characters besides. (Emoticons not included.)

The page Proposal to encode Tengwar in Plane 1 of ISO/IEC 10646-2 is an official document proposing to add Tokien's Tengwar characters to the standard. At the time (25 years ago!) it was not taken seriously. They had enough of a mess just adding all the thousands of Chinese, Korean, Japanese, etc. characters in all their different forms to the standard. A little quick googling seems to indicate the Linear b (ancient Phoenician text), and, for Bog's sake, Klingon, are now both part of the standard. So I still have hopes for the Tengwar!

I thought some of the general discussion on the page might be helpful to your effort.

Managed to do some transcriptions today:

Ofcc the sentences are practically unrelated but all make complete sense. Next time I can try to transcribe a whole paragraph from a book maybe.

Also, how's the Tengwar? I had never done them in fountain pens before, so all feedback is welcome.

16559962030933508844245590392390.jpg

The Tengwar looks good! The 3rd letter of the 2nd word in the first line is unfamiliar to me, but I can read the rest of it clearly.

The Tengwar looks good! The 3rd letter of the 2nd word in the first line is unfamiliar to me, but I can read the rest of it clearly.
I hadded the Halla to the first 4 of the tincotema to make the retroflex sounds. So it's that. The line in the top is to ad a nazalization. The equivalent of a dot on top of the line in the Marathi writing.

Also, I'm glad it's legible!

Back