The cliffside where Maedhros is stapled to the rock. (Thangorodrim)

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
We need a specific place where Morgoth staples Maedhros to the cliffside. There are some problems:
1. The Thangorodrim being active volcanoes, they erupt continually, and we have to find a place high up that doesn't put Maedhros at risk of being killed by lava streams. Ash rain or that kind of smaller dangers should be fine, though. I mean, where do we put Maedhros:
images

2. Since the Thangorodrim are volcanoes, they have the typical cone shape, which is nice in every aspect but when it comes to producing sheer cliffsides. I would like to present an active volcano looking like this (but I can't):

I guess Maedhros could be hanging in relative safety if he's stapled to the right in this picture: upload_2018-5-8_13-59-29.jpeg That is if the eruptions weren't too powerful.

So I guess what I'm saying is that we have to look for good pictures of places that could work, or ideas of how to manipulate reasonably good pictures.

Last edited:
Ok what if there's a protruding rock on the side of one of the Thangorodrim peaks? It could loook something like this (from Mt Kinabalu in Malaysia): upload_2018-5-8_14-18-53.jpegupload_2018-5-8_14-19-9.jpeg
A bit closer:
images

The Sun rises:

We need a specific place where Morgoth staples Maedhros to the cliffside. There are some problems:
1. The Thangorodrim being active volcanoes, they erupt continually, and we have to find a place high up that doesn't put Maedhros at risk of being killed by lava streams. Ash rain or that kind of smaller dangers should be fine, though. I mean, where do we put Maedhros:
images

2. Since the Thangorodrim are volcanoes, they have the typical cone shape, which is nice in every aspect but when it comes to producing sheer cliffsides. I would like to present an active volcanoe looking like this (but I can't):

I guess Maedhros could be hanging in relative safety if he's stapled to the right in this picture: View attachment 1630 That is if the eruptions weren't too powerful.

So I guess what I'm saying is that we have to look for good pictures of places that could work, or ideas of how to manipulate reasonably good pictures.
Maybe Morgoth controls the lava flow so Maedhros doesn’t get hit?

Hmm, I see your point. We're going to have trouble making a sheer cliff face that Fingon can't possible climb here.

Mount Teide in the Canary Islands is a very large active volcano. It could look impressive, but not really...sheer.

1.jpg

That’s also possible to use. I think the Malaysian protruding rock is an ok alternative but I can’t find pictures of it showing the steep side, just the view from a place from where you can stand and look at it.

Still, it would not give Fingon much trouble, he’d just climb to the easier part and then walk up to the cliff side from above.

I still think we can use the Malaysian rock, but we will have to avoid pulling back and just do close ups.

We must combine that with other shots, such as this:

Exactly. We need some sort of overhanging cliff to make this work.

Overhanging_volcanic_cliff_over_M%C3%B3nsul_beach_at_Parque_Natural_de_Cabo_de_Gata.jpg

download.jpg
I'm not sure we can get any further? Let's say Maedhros hangs on the right side of this volcano (Mauna Loa, I think), then he will be shielded from direct heat since the lava flows through an opening in another direction. You can only access it by climbing. The question here is mostly about how Morgoth gets him up there (unless he carries him himself).

Edit: The Thangorodrim is obviously higher. This is just to show the shielding edge of the top of the cone.

View attachment 1633
I'm not sure we can get any further? Let's say Maedhros hangs on the right side of this volcano (Mauna Loa, I think), then he will be shielded from direct heat since the lava flows through an opening in another direction. You can only access it by climbing. The question here is mostly about how Morgoth gets him up there (unless he carries him himself).

Edit: The Thangorodrim is obviously higher. This is just to show the shielding edge of the top of the cone.

I'm thinking there would have to be a series of tunnels inside the rock, and one would open onto the ledge.

I'm thinking there would have to be a series of tunnels inside the rock, and one would open onto the ledge.
Yes that was my thought as well but then I got concerned about the risk of the walls protecting those tunnels from lava not being thick enough. But I guess the god of extreme heat could deal with such minor problems.

Yes that was my thought as well but then I got concerned about the risk of the walls protecting those tunnels from lava not being thick enough. But I guess the god of extreme heat could deal with such minor problems.
He’s also the god of extreme cold.

I am well aware of that but I just used the for the moment most applicable aspect, for economic reasons.

Back