The doom of the future... life long?

Timdalf

In one of my copies of LotR we are on p. 272 of the 1031 pages in the main text (thus not counting Appendices!) which means we have 760 to go.... with 2 Sessions per page means of course, 1520 Sessions to go... with an average of at most 45 Sessions per year, means we have at least 34 years to go. Or at least until 2055 AD. As I am already 74 years on, I would then be 108... So you all will be going on long after I am liberated from this vale of sorrows... :)

The pace should pick up a bit now that we have left the extremely information-dense Council of Elrond. I wouldn't expect such slow going again until we hit Lothlorien.

Timdalf, I'm 73. I'm aiming to last till Rohan, at least as far as Theoden's cure. But lately I've been thinking I might not make it out of Lothlorien, given our pace in such signficant episodes. Maybe time will stand still while we are there. :)

Rachel, if you find a simple gold Ring lying about... especially if seems to whisper alluring ideas of world power... PICK IT UP! It may be our only chance to gain a prolonged life!! Good luck! ;)

Ha! I couldn't be trusted with such a Ring - I'm too involved in political activism to be a safe keeper. But if you find it, maybe you can send a little of the life-extending power my way.

I am not an active activist in the current culture wars... But I do voice my opinions vociferously to my friends (and a few "non-friends" with whom I strenuously differ)... And I like, Gandalf, would be sorely tempted to use The Ring for good against the forces of domination and indoctrination that threaten our way of life these days. Since power corrupts and Ring power is absolute, it would corrupt me absolutely. But maybe, just maybe... I could take it only for safe keepin' (as movie Sam says) or as book Sam says "If it's too hard a job, I could share it maybe." Just long enough to extend life for another 35 years or so, until Exploring LotR reaches its end...................... So, yes, I would pick it up -- and eagerly.

Back