The Fall - a challenge from the hosts

Phillip Menzies

Staff member
So the music session had the hosts wanting a theme that can be played every time we want to show a character going through a fall.
My thoughts were starting again with Iluvatar's note as the concept of perfection and having the notes tumble down, but the amount of it we play depends on the size of the fall. The moment Melkor takes on the name Morgoth is when we get the whole thing, but for other characters they would get less of it depending on the degree of the fall.

When our saintly EPs brought this up in the session, the first thing I heard in my head was the first few notes of "The Phantom of the Opera" (the song, not the entire musical...)

But I'm guessing Andrew Lloyd Webber wouldn't take too kindly to our using part of one of his most famous songs over and over again for our own purposes and profit. I hear that's generally frowned upon.

..... and we can't use "the fall of men" by Howard Shore which appears twice in FOTR, first time at the death of Elendil and second time as Boromir tries to take the ring from Frodo. According to Doug Adams "Both events involve human weakness and death".

When our saintly EPs brought this up in the session, the first thing I heard in my head was the first few notes of "The Phantom of the Opera" (the song, not the entire musical...)

But I'm guessing Andrew Lloyd Webber wouldn't take too kindly to our using part of one of his most famous songs over and over again for our own purposes and profit. I hear that's generally frowned upon.

Eh...how many notes are we talking about? Surely he won't mind if we just borrow a few....

So, this song exists:

Here is one way it has been co-opted as music for a fall:

I find this endlessly fascinating...oh, and the name of the song? Means Eagle Brother. Melkor is Manwë's brother....

Back