The inevitable SilmFilm reboot cash-grab; Season 1 idea

MBasial

I just had an idea for Season 1 -- when do we start discussing the inevitable SilmFilm reboot cash-grab? Because I just got hit with another way to do the Ainulindalë, which avoids a lot of difficulty in presentation and sudden style changes, special effects, etc. (I can only assume that this was a vision sent by Ulmo.)

The Ainulindalë gets performed as a play by the Elves. They re-enact it at The Feast Outside Time or whatever they would call it. That's how Bilbo (and us Viewers) encounters the material. He sees the play/opera/rock-musical/whatever genre it lands in, and writes the adaptation to text that comes down to us in the Red Book. The play was written and first performed by the Calaquendi, to explain to the Moriquendi this part of what they learned in Valinor.

That way, you get to use elf-stage-appropriate special effects, elf-performed music, and you can even recycle actors from the series (e.g. Elrond plays Manwë), like when ST:TNG does Shakespeare on the Holodeck.

In other words, it's kind of like a Christmas pageant, and serves the same function in Elf society: this is where we come from, this is who we are, this is our place in the world, this is our relationship to our Creator, etc.

Sorry to bring it up at the end of Season 3, but we all know that for as long as the adaptation will run, it'll get rebooted before it's even completed, so it's always OK to revise. ;D

Back