The Lamps

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
I'm listening to the last session and I'm trying to get the picture the execs are painting. We're looking for a natural rock structure, on top of which there's a special top construction with a crystal globe. I think the base can look something like this:
514513783-high-rock-at-sunset-gettyimages.jpg

Yes, I think it's good.

(Although I might add that I seem to find that I have quite a lot of tolerance for things that others apparently think are ridiculous when it comes to these Lamps...I would accept extremely high pillars, for example)

I think we have to make the light so bright that the crystal is barely visible. It will be a mountain peak which has almost like a small sun in top.

Ok, so I was doing some math here. (Maths if you speak the "Queen's English")

Let's say that Ormal is in South Africa, putting Almaren somewhere in Egypt. Distance is about 4000 miles, or almost 6500 km.

If there is even a single mountain of a mile high (not by any means super tall) or 1.6 km between Almaren and Ormal, Ormal has to be about 3.5 miles, or 5.6 km just to be visible over it.

That's not even taking into account that Tolkien says that the lamps are "more lofty far than are any mountains of the later days."
So let's just say, Mt. Everest for example: 29,029 feet, 8.848 km, or 5.5 miles.....

I'd say we're looking at 5-6 mile high towers, folks.

But Dr Olsen was saying that he wanted the liquid fire of the Lamps to flow down on Almaren. It seems that if there's going to be liquid fire flowing, and it's going to flow 4000 miles/6500 km, it's going to flow in all directions, making the area covered by liquid fire 2x(πx4000x4000) square miles which means roughly one hundred million square miles. That's about half of the Earth's area.
So we need to have the Lamps a little closer.

Which would stop the flow? Where would that be and why? I'm not sure how you mean this would make the damaged area smaller. I mean the liquid fire reaches the Lamps, valleys or no.

Back