The Last Ringbearer

As far I understand Tolkien hated mass production. To him even a handmade wooden chair was bas a work of art - there was not much difference between a crafsman and and artist in his mind. So any way of production which removed the artistry from the process was problematic to him.

And communistic economy is all about mass production and depersonalisation of the process. It by design has to kill any individual creativity and - ultimately - any authorship. As such it is unresponsive to individual and to any rapid changing need, as you have to plan your production centrally for several years in advance... Any small but complex product for a very limited audience is by design completely disregarded in the system by default. Even a small scale gardener selling self-grown radishes at the street corner becomes a potential danger to the system.

Tolkien was a romantic anti-economist, gladly this is not the place to discuss Karl Marx who too loved gardening and artistry.

This is the Place of Kyrill Eskov who seemingly is into futurism and technology...

This is the Place of Kyrill Eskov who seemingly is into futurism and technology...

Still the mass production is the common denominator here and there. Which results even in Eskov's story in ecological degradation of Gorgoroth which then forces Mordor to conquer Gondor to open the Anduin for the grain supply from the South. As such it is still Mordor who is the agressor - even if it justifies its expansion by its need to survive - Gondor has no need for Mordor to survive itself - so even in Eskov's story it is still visible below the surface that it is Mordor which encroaches on others (as it has an economic motive to do so) and not the other way round.

to discuss Karl Marx who too loved gardening and artistry.

And what do his hobbies have to do with his philosophy? A garden is by definition a "g(u)arded" place= a "private" space, a secluded piece of land claimed by someone and fenced off from introgression by others. It has no place even as a concept in a world where any private ownership is abolished.

Tolkien was a romantic anti-economist...
And he knew from history that this has been the way how humankind had survived for millenia apparently quite successfully...
So Tolkien had the room to see industrialisation as a symptom of degradation and decline mostly caused by greed.
Which position seems quite understandable for someone longing for the past as a "better place".

And monarchy is for sure far more personal than somebody just temporaly filling an elected office caring only for his reelection and not to achieve anything that holds for any longer after he is done with his job. I can see why Tolkien would be unsatisfied with this later concept.

Last edited:
Different from most leftists i do not enjoy to discuss my personal political views very much and do not want to convince anybody. I'd rather talk about interesting and fun stuff ... and politics and economy to me are not fun but very frustrating and dull and sad. I am not a happy person.

Different from most leftists i do not enjoy to discuss my personal political views very much and do not want to convince anybody. I'd rather talk about interesting and fun stuff ... and politics and economy to me are not fun but very frustrating and dull and sad. I am not a happy person.
?
Have I said anything about my own views here? I just spoke about the views that we can see presented in Tolkien's texts and the ones that I see in Eskov's story - admittedly from the little that I know of it. I have mentioned my personal distaste towards texts which resemble historical communistic propaganda that I do remember from my childhood. But this is still not a political but a textual critique.

Back