The Making of Paper

Haerangil

Pretty sure they used papyrus, vellum or even some lost valinorian secret

We do not exactly know what Hyalin or elvish paper was made of, but Parma or book, either comes from a stem "to arrange (especially wood)" or "bark"
And Paglos, gnomish parchment, comes from a stem "to peel"

I could imagine the high elves used some sort of very fine barkpaper while the umanya used very thin animal skin.

Pretty sure they used papyrus, vellum or even some lost valinorian secret

We do not exactly know what Hyalin or elvish paper was made of, but Parma or book, either comes from a stem "to arrange (especially wood)" or "bark"
And Paglos, gnomish parchment, comes from a stem "to peel"

I could imagine the high elves used some sort of very fine barkpaper while the umanya used very thin animal skin.

Some leaves/bark based papyrus or fine parchment - both handmade - seems logical, will search for something like that - somehow a regular paper mill and elves does not add up for me - especially the nasty smell around one.

So, bark papers are found around the world but mostly from certain specific local trees that do not grow in ME (amate, paper maulberry) - so the best would be birk bark paper for our localisation - ancient Celtic god's like Ogma were reported to have written first ogman messages/spells in Ogham on birch bark:

but any paper from pulp is either beige or grey (rag paper) if not bleached and one has to use soda ash or other alkaline subtances to produce it -harmfull to the enviroment. Bleaching is a very aggresive chemical reaction.

So summarising - as birk bark paper is unprocessed chemically - only mechanically - as such it seems the most elf-conform solution - I would say.

Last edited:
Technically natural materials can be bleached just by washing and light exposure... not very effective, but elves have a lot of time and patience...

Technically natural materials can be bleached just by washing and light exposure... not very effective, but elves have a lot of time and patience...

Ever left paper out in the garden for a weak - and it rained? ;) This works fine with bleaching white laudry - but paper...

Ever left paper out in the garden for a weak - and it rained? ;) This works fine with bleaching white laudry - but paper...

Put it back in when it is too moisty , you're an elf, you got lotta time and little pressure..
:cool:

Would they carve/engrave on thin metal sheets, similar to the Copper Scroll found with thw Dead Sea Scrolls?

I could see that with the Noldor, but as i wrote before, the elven wordlists suggest they knew books, paper and parchment - of some sort and leather, wood and bark as the likeliest materials, if etymologies are used as evidence.

One interesting method of making paper is using linen or cotton rags. An easy modern approach is to use dryer lint ;) My sister did that as a 4H project as a child - it's very easy! For the elves, recycling old garments into a usable material sounds like something they would be interested in. Certainly not the only method of paper-making available to them, but I figured I'd mention it. . Here's the basic method:

Naturally, the elves will have to collect the lint in a different way, and won't be using a blender! So, here's the more typical modern method for rag paper. Elves would have different methods of breaking down the fabric into pulp.

And yes, if you want to make paper from trees, bark is a good starting point.
This video shows traditional methods (ie, no power tools, more strictly 'by hand')

Last edited:
path n. “peel, skin of fruit, fine bark (paper)” (plural: padhin) appears in the Gnomish lexicon; so in 1917, Tolkien imagined his elves having a word for fine bark paper. The Qenya version was parma n. “skin, bark; parchment; book, writings”. Both come from the root for 'peel' - at that time. The meaning of the roots changed over time. (Discussion available here)

Early Qenya as well has multiple words associated with paper and writing, as Haerangil has pointed out.

hyalin n. “paper”
nekka n. “pen”
tenka n. “pen”
móro n. “ink”
saramór n. “*writing-ink”
parma n. “skin, bark; parchment; book, writings”
tekka n. “book”
tekte (teksi-) n. “book”
patl n. “leaf (esp. of book)”
tektele n. “art of writing, script; writings, documents, papers, scriptures”
tektar n. “writer”
lirit(ta) n. “poem, lay, written poem”

And Parma Eldalamberon gives us this early Qenya sentence:
sinda nekka ui sara ro sinda hyalin me sinda móro = “this pen is not writing on this paper with this ink”

We do know that parma survived as book into mature LotR-style Quenya, and that Quenya was itself considered a book-language, as Sindarin was spoken fairly universally in Beleriand after Thingol's ban on Quenya.

Last edited:
One interesting method of making paper is using linen or cotton rags. An easy modern approach is to use dryer lint ;) My sister did that as a 4H project as a child - it's very easy! For the elves, recycling old garments into a usable material sounds like something they would be interested in. Certainly not the only method of paper-making available to them, but I figured I'd mention it. . Here's the basic method:

Naturally, the elves will have to collect the lint in a different way, and won't be using a blender! So, here's the more typical modern method for rag paper. Elves would have different methods of breaking down the fabric into pulp.

And yes, if you want to make paper from trees, bark is a good starting point.
This video shows traditional methods (ie, no power tools, more strictly 'by hand')

Hey, if anyone on Earth could rightly be called Elvish, it's Li ZiQi.

Note the grey colour of the paper in the 1st video and the highly bleached colour of the pre-prepared rags in the 2nd.

Natural coloured rag paper - which was the historic paper of the Western world untill quite recently - is grey.

Natural unbleached wood pulp paper (our modern paper) has the colour of a paper bag.

Both kinds of paper are heavily bleached before use - in whatever part of the processing chain.

The third video starts with a specific local tree the paper mulberry which would be native to Rhun(?) in ME.
In future America the equivalent would be the rock fig

(mulberries and figs are actually related: "Moraceae, the mulberry family of the rose order (Rosales), with about 40 genera and some 1,000 species of deciduous or evergreen trees and shrubs, distributed mostly in tropical and subtropical regions." https://www.britannica.com/plant/Moraceae)

to make amate paper:
)

Also the bark is retted in Li ZiQi's video which will pollute the water - retting is a controled decay process.
She also does use soda ash: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_carbonate "Sodium carbonate, Na2CO3·10H2O, (also known as washing soda, soda ash and soda crystals) is the inorganic compound with the formula Na2CO3 and its various hydrates. All forms are white, odourless, water-soluble salts that yield moderately alkaline solutions in water." which is a chemical:

"Soda ash [Na2CO3] can be present in natural water from the weathering of basalt which is an igneous rock. Lime [Ca(OH)2] can be present in natural water when rain water comes in contact with calcined minerals such as ash produced from the burning of calcareous coal or lignite in boilers. Anthropogenic use of soda ash also finally adds to the RSC of the river water.
Where the river water and ground water are repeatedly used in the extensively irrigated river basins, the river water available in lower reaches is often rendered not useful in agriculture due to high RSC index or alkalinity."

But the paper mulberry paper does seem bright enough not to require much bleaching in its processing.

Still to my knowledge neither rock fig nor paper mulberry would grow naturally in Beleriand's climate. As such I still propose the use of birch in our context for elves.

But then the bleaching part remains. Could elves use magic for bleaching or would they be fine with grey/beige paper?

Would elves gather enough rags to have a high volume paper production? (Do elves actually use linen? [Do elves user magic for retting? Flax and other plant fiber retting is a nasty, smelly and eviromentally harmfull process - I propose humans to be the ones doing it and elves buying spin-ready flax roving from the humans]. Do elves have access to cotton (this would have to be imported from afar). Do elves keep sheep to make wool? Do they make wild silk?)

I could imagine dwarves buying up any old rags for a paper production centre back home underground on their travel from anyone. I think dwarves would also not be opposed to use bleach as they are miners - they are familiar with minerals and seem predestined to be ME's first chemists (humans being the second best chemists making glues, wood tar and organic dyes) - and mining is detrimental to the enviroment as default - so imho dwarves would not mind it much (as they are still "Yavanna's nightmare").

As such I do propose dwarves for white rag paper production. This could be rarer than birch paper and used for more important documents.

I also propose humans to be parchment makers. Hide processing is also a nasty process the humans would not be above. And humans keep domesticated animals that they do process. Vellum is basically fine pachment - just made of calfskin.

I also like the use of metal sheets like the one showed above to be used for documents of highest importance - like decrees or similar.

Still paper and parchment seem like limited commodities in the 1st Age and so the use of wax-tablets is not excluded. Wax is used on wood or ivory tables, is all natural, smells nice and one uses a stylish metal or ivory stylus to write on it - imho elves would like to use those too.

A wax tablet cover can be very ornate too. 1465, Pietà, detail of wax tablet etui attached to a belt
1655025931012.png

1655026545206.png

1655025973661.png
1655026439068.png

1655026254340.png

And they also often do have very nice cases:
1655026733654.png

1655026777222.png
1655026881350.png

A nice waxtablet case with a nice set of onate wax tables and a pretty stylus worn on one's belt might be the equivalenet of a modern high end mobile phone as a status symbol.
[Beyond the fact that they do look like modern electronics in certains depictions - which could be played with visually:
1655027866730.png
]

As such I propose to have "Orodreth's documents" contain a variety of mediums, shades and styles.

Last edited:
You are raising the larger question of .. Can Elves be chemists?

I think that in the case of the Noldor, the answer is an unequivocal yes. They are very familiar with how materials interact. They take great pride in making things. They are known for being pupils of Aulë. They are known to have produced extraordinary things that ancient peoples could not, eg Fëanorian lanterns, artificial gems, etc.

Historically, chemistry is rooted in alchemy. The earliest chemists were also alchemists. So I don't think it will be difficult to portray a brand of "magical chemistry" for our elves to use. Back in Season 2, we discussed the portrayal of magic on our show, and the choice was to have a "both / and" approach, where the audience would not be able to tell, are they doing magic, or doing science?
HERE is a link to that podcast discussion: https://tolkienprof.fireside.fm/323?t=5239
The magic part is rooted in song, of course. For the science part, we focus on using "real" methods and materials. We mostly discussed this in the contexts of: making the Silmarils, making magic swords, and sailing ships. I know that Corey Olsen intends to discuss this again in the context of Lúthien. Maybe in July?

You also are asking about environmental impact. Naturally, I don't think that Elves litter! They care about the world they have to live in, and thus care for it to plan for their own futures. Middle-earth is their home.

While some materials can be harsh, neutralizing them prior to releasing them into the environment will prevent ill effect. Yes, soda ash, or lye, is alkaline. It is used in saponification reactions to make soap. The lye is combined with oil or fat to make soap (and alcohol). I think it extremely likely that elves make soap, and thus they would be aware of the properties of water run through wood ash. Why wouldn't they use this in other processes?

Also, environmental impact is often a matter of scale. Prior to the industrial revolution, there was plenty of environmental impact from humans - deforestation, polluted rivers, etc. Especially near large population areas (eg, the city of London). But most of the issues we face today are a direct result of changes in the past 200 years. The combination of industrialization, aggressive deforestation, and explosive population growth certainly has put a strain on equilibrium in the world's ecosystems. Enough that people are willing to label this time span the "Anthropocene". I do think that the Elves would resist falling into a situation like we face. Their populations are small, and increase slowly. They use wood, but they don't clear-cut forests. And they are clever enough to design sanitation for their larger communities - they are not simply dumping raw sewage everywhere! And so, when it comes to industry, their choice is to make things by hand. On a smaller scale. All elf products are "artisanal " ;) ... made by artisans. But since they are serving a relatively small community, small quantities would be sufficient for their needs.

So I am not opposed to Elves using processes that might be considered harsh. We have already established that the Noldor who crossed the Helcaraxë wear furs. Tanning hides is a thing our Elves do. Not all Elves are the same - the Nandor have a radically different culture from the Noldor, after all. But yes - the Noldor are chemists, and quite advanced chemists at that.

Last edited:
You are raising the larger question of .. Can Elves be chemists?

I think that in the case of the Noldor, the answer is an unequivocal yes. They are very familiar with how materials interact. They take great pride in making things. They are known for being pupils of Aulë. They are known to have produced extrordinary things that ancient peoples could not, eg Fëanorian lanterns, artificial gems, etc.

Historically, chemistry is rooted in alchemy. The earliest chemists were also alchemists. So I don't think it will be difficult to portray a brand of "magical chemistry" for our elves to use. Back in Season 2, we discussed the portrayal of magic on our show, and the choice was to have a "both / and" approach, where the audience would not be able to tell, are they doing magic, or doing science? The magic part is rooted in song, of course. For the science part, we focus on using "real" methods and materials. We mostly discussed this in the contexts of: making the Silmarils, making magic swords, and sailing ships. I know that Corey Olsen intends to discuss this again in the context of Lúthien. Maybe in July?

You also are asking about environmental impact. Naturally, I don't think that Elves litter! They care about the world they have to live in, and thus care for it to plan for their own futures. Middle-earth is their home.

While some materials can be harsh, neutralizing them prior to releasing them into the environment will prevent ill effect. Yes, soda ash, or lye, is alkaline. It is used in saponification reactions to make soap. The lye is combined with oil or fat to make soap (and alcohol). I think it extremely likely that elves make soap, and thus they would be aware of the properties of water run through wood ash. Why wouldn't they use this in other processes?

Also, environmental impact is often a matter of scale. Prior to the industrial revolution, there was plenty of environmental impact from humans - deforestation, polluted rivers, etc. Especially near large population areas (eg, the city of London). But most of the issues we face today are a direct result of changes in the past 200 years. The combination of industrialization, aggressive deforestation, and explosive population growth certainly has put a strain on equilibrium in the world's ecosystems. Enough that people are willing to label this time span the "Anthropocene". I do think that the Elves would resist falling into a situation like we face. Their populations are small, and increase slowly. They use wood, but they don't clearcut forests. And they are clever enough to design sanitation for their larger communities - they are not simply dumping raw sewage everywhere! And so, when it comes to industry, their choice is to make things by hand. On a smaller scale. All elf products are "artisanal " ;) ... made by artisans. But since they are serving a relatively small community, small quantities would be sufficient for their needs.

So I am not opposed to Elves using processes that might be considered harsh. We have already established that the Noldor who crossed the Helcaraxë wear furs. Tanning hides is a thing our Elves do. Not all Elves are the same - the Nandor have a radically different culture from the Noldor, after all. But yes - the Noldor are chemists, and quite advanced chemists at that.

Very wise remarks - but I would like to question some aspects of them:

Just like elves (Finrod explains it Zirak in EP 1 we speak about) make jewels by "growth" processes - not cutting the earth open to get them -
I fell their approach on chemistry would be by growing and adding and creating compounds.

I have trouble seeing elves going against “He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.” And anorganic chemistry often imho requiress that - as such I would rather have dwarves take over that part - as I do not think they would mind.

Human applied chemistry also cares little about the damage it does to the surrounding - as humans are just passing travellers and everything is just temporary for them anyway. They have a "throw-away" life. Also the making of parchment could be classified as controlled decay. So the tanning of hides.

No reason to think elves are not familiar how to do it, but I think thay would outsource those activities to humans as soon as those are available. For some irrational reason I do think elves are adverse to bad smells. And while - like with anything - they propably are able to endure them longer that anyone when it is unavoidable - I do not see them voluntarily embrace techniques that are by default smelly.

So I have a big poblem seeing elves use retting - which is stinky process and actually rotting. As far I remember Tolkien made some remarks about elves not liking decay. Human mastering controlled decay seems like a method human would use - it matches their grimm outlook and seems like an attempt to control death - at least partially.

I have no problem with elves making occasionally manually idividually created paper e.g. using leaves and flowers for the fun and art of it - and to write a love poem to a loved one on it or to use it for a specific drawing. But I do not think elvish paper production would have crossed the border to industrial production as such paper would not have becoma a mere commodity as it is for us today.

Even birch paper - which your and Haerangil's linguistic analysis seems to hint to - a sustainable medium in itself and requiring some manual skill in obtaining - would imho not have crossed the treshold to be considered industrial in scale.

As such I do think elvish paper production would be limited and highly personalised. For the high amount equired fo administaive "paperwork" I am of the opinion elves would propably import a big part of it and use a variety of mediums to write on.

And I do not see how the elves prepare and plan for the future - we do not see them ever planting new forests? Imho they are just preserving and enchancing what is and was.

Even Galadriel's planting mallorns is human facilitated- via the seeds send from Numenor. Galadriel was the one to "get the hint", still she used the mallorn seeds to enhance Lorien - not to extend it nor to establish a new forest somewhere else?

BTW:

Deforestation is an old human problem - it was so in Bronze Age Great Britain or in ancient Greece (even with much smaller population - partially also due to animal husbandry - big grazing herds stops the trees from regrowing):

"The largest phase of clearing woodlands in the British Isles was in the late Bronze Age, some 3,000 years ago, and continued through the Iron Age into the Roman period."

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/45407393_Ancient_Deforestation_Revisited

"Environmental historians considering the problem of ancient deforestation must constantly revisit the work being done by scientists. [...] The body of information, even limited to the ancient Mediterranean, is large and expanding. My work on this subject has been characterized as pessimistic. Indeed, I have found evidence showing that there was major deforestation in many parts of the Mediterranean Basin in classical Greek and Roman times, and that it caused environmental damage contributing to the disruption of ancient economies. ..."

February 2011 J. Donald Hughes Journal of the History of Biology 44(1):43-57 DOI:10.1007/s10739-010-9247-3

Regarding the magic discussion planned for this season with The Tolkien Professor - could the magical weaving/spinning be included on the discussion agenda?

To my knowledge - do not see elvish male involved in textile arts. (Rope making is not considered a textile art and has been traditionally done by men. Actually my own great-grandfather was still making them the traditional way - when I was a little child).

We do see Miriel, Vaire, Ungoliant, Luthien, Galadriel and her court ladies (elvish cloaks) and Arwen involved in - to varied extent magical - textile arts in the texts.

So it seems imho Tolkien does connect - according to old Europen tradition - spinning and weaving with specifically female arts and magic.
Would be nice if The Tolkien Professor could include those in his discussion of the subject.

Last edited:
Let's keep this thread on topic - we're focused on paper, not textile arts here. (Unless you are suggesting writing on the textile, of course!)

Still paper and parchment seem like limited commodities in the 1st Age and so the use of wax-tablets is not excluded. Wax is used on wood or ivory tables, is all natural, smells nice and one uses a stylish metal or ivory stylus to write on it - imho elves would like to use those too.

A wax tablet cover can be very ornate too.

I am a bit confused by this suggestion. Wax tablets were, of course, commonly used throughout Medieval Europe, and in the ancient world as well. But not as an 'alternative' for paper. Rather, wax tablets are used in situations where the writing only was needed temporarily. So, one could write a rough draft on wax tablets, and then transcribe the 'final copy' onto parchment or some other lasting material. The wax tablet can be 'erased' and reused. Like a slate used by school children. Also, they are portable, which can be handy when one is away from a desk.

So wax tablets can be used by Elves...but only for something that they plan to erase shortly. So, as 'scratch paper.'

They are still going to go on to write letters and books on less transient materials than wax!

I also strongly disagree with the characterization of paper and parchment as 'limited commodities' in the First Age. I see no reason why that should be the case. I don't think there is sufficient demand to justify the construction of a paper factory. But I don't think the Noldor avoid the use of paper or treat it as a rare commodity, either. They make what they need. They aren't wasteful - so, sure, if it's not for something lasting, they could use a temporary method such as wax tablets or chalk on slate. But if they want to write something down, they make the material necessary for that project.

So, they have paper. We know they make books (by this point in the story). They write letters to one another. They make blueprints and plans for their construction projects. The question for this thread is to consider the methods used, and what the paper would look like.

Let's keep this thread on topic - we're focused on paper, not textile arts here. (Unless you are suggesting writing on the textile, of course!)

I am a bit confused by this suggestion. Wax tablets were, of course, commonly used throughout Medieval Europe, and in the ancient world as well. But not as an 'alternative' for paper. Rather, wax tablets are used in situations where the writing only was needed temporarily. So, one could write a rough draft on wax tablets, and then transcribe the 'final copy' onto parchment or some other lasting material. The wax tablet can be 'erased' and reused. Like a slate used by school children. Also, they are portable, which can be handy when one is away from a desk.

So wax tablets can be used by Elves...but only for something that they plan to erase shortly. So, as 'scratch paper.'

They are still going to go on to write letters and books on less transient materials than wax!

I also strongly disagree with the characterization of paper and parchment as 'limited commodities' in the First Age. I see no reason why that should be the case. I don't think there is sufficient demand to justify the construction of a paper factory. But I don't think the Noldor avoid the use of paper or treat it as a rare commodity, either. They make what they need. They aren't wasteful - so, sure, if it's not for something lasting, they could use a temporary method such as wax tablets or chalk on slate. But if they want to write something down, they make the material necessary for that project.

So, they have paper. We know they make books (by this point in the story). They write letters to one another. They make blueprints and plans for their construction projects. The question for this thread is to consider the methods used, and what the paper would look like.

For construction projects neither of the handmade papers shown in the videos you've linked to is good enough. The papers shown there are thick and fibery and not white if unbleached - except for the paper mulberry - their surface structure would distort the lines drawn on it. Vellum would be best for this as it is very smooth, and has been traditionally used for those purposes.

Reports, messages carried between armies could all be put onto wax tablets as those suffer less damage when transported than paper - paper is lighweight but far less sturdy. Then the information could be copied from them onto a more permanent medium and the wax tablets returned back to their original owners for renewed use. Wax tablets have been eliminated by paper when paper became much cheaper and more easily accessible than a high quality wax tablet - that means: when paper became a mass product.

Books in ancient times very mainly written on parchment. Paper started to be used in books on a big scale in combination with printing. Both were industrialized processes at that time. Parchment is far more durable than paper - paper must avoid moisture as it disintegrates easily.

See then also in China even after paper has been invented and used for e.g. lantern making etc. still important documents were written on bamboo slips - Bamboo and wooden slips - Wikipedia (the article is confusing as it states the the use of bamboo slips has been abandoned in the 4th century after paper became popular and then show a photo of a manuscript of the Art of War made on those in the 18th century.) Bamboo book - binding - UCR - Bamboo and wooden slips - Wikipedia

So if paper has not monopolized writing before it become industrialized (which in Europe it became quite soon after its initial arrival in Europe) and - as you state - paper is still made manually - without establishing paper mills and industrializing the process - by the elves - then it follows that is has not yet monopolized elvish writing. Or that elves import substantial amounts of it from somewhere else. Or that their writing needs are very limited.

And there is also a tradition of writing on silk = fabric to consider:

Mawangdui Silk Texts - Wikipedia

And really - if wax tablet were just "sketch paper" why make them from ornate ivory with a ornate stylus and carry them around in a precious ornate case proudly visible on one's belt - never saw anyone doing the equivalent of this with mere sketch paper?

Last edited:
Wax tablets i like.

As metallurgists i find it hard to believe the Noldor did not have at last some knowledge of chemistry...
How far that went... no idea!

I could see them dabble in some alchemy though.

As for paper plants... i don't see why the noldor couldn't have imported some tree from valinor which was alike to the known paper plants.If they can have tobacco, Mellyrn and some other weird herbs, why not also some paper tree or reeds

Last edited:
But for mellyrn humans were the intermediaries? So the elves did not think of it themselves?

Good point!

On the other hand... what exactly do we know of esg, liske, or valinorian fig-tree... i still wouldn't totally rule outbthe idea there were paper-plants available to them.

Good point!

On the other hand... what exactly do we know of esg, liske, or valinorian fig-tree... i still wouldn't totally rule outbthe idea there were paper-plants available to them.

Valinorian fig-tree? Seems interesting! Can you curdle milk with its sap (like regular fig sap) making in unnecessary to kill baby animals to get rennet? And make white paper from it that needs no bleaching? That seems like a plant a sensible elf would bring with her/him for sure. And has some nice tasty figs in addition? The issue is - does it need a glasshouse or how does it survive in Beleriand's climate?

Valinorian fig-tree? Seems interesting! Can you curdle milk with its sap (like regular fig sap) making in unnecessary to kill baby animals to get rennet? And make white paper from it that needs no bleaching? That seems like a plant a sensible elf would bring with her/him for sure. And has some nice tasty figs in addition? The issue is - does it need a glasshouse or how does it survive in Beleriand's climate?

No idea i just made that one up

Back