The meaning of "wise"

Jedi Master Tessa

I'm trying to catch back up and just listened to the discussion of the words "wise" and "crafty", and I immediately thought of Nerdanel, the wife of Feanor. She is known as "The Wise," which never made sense to me. This is partly anti-Feanorian sentiment, since I can't imagine anyone who willingly associates with Feanor being considered "wise", and she never seems to try to rein him in. But also, I just don't have any examples of her being wise, and I've never heard an explanation for the title. But "crafty"? She's supposed to be a brilliant sculptor. Of course she's crafty and skilled and creative. Is that what her epithet really means, that she's a strikingly good artisan?

Then again, there are also a group of people described as "the Wise" in Middle Earth. I assume that doesn't refer to their crafting ability. So is Tolkien using the word in multiple different ways? If so, how do we know how we're supposed to interpret it?

Hi Jedi Master,

'Wise', seems to me to mean someone who has a recollection or intimation of the Song. Those who are Wise can glimpse the future sometimes, or delivery prophecy. Or, they recall some of the Song (the Istari should be able to do this). To be Wise, is to have some perception of how Arda works and how Arda is supposed to work.

Of course some people twist the word into other meanings. When Saruman uses it to Gandalf, he means 'cunning' or 'rational' more than 'insightful'.

Sure, JRRT uses the word differently at different time, when spoken by different people. But I think he intends the true and best meaning of the word to be 'insightful about the nature of Arda marred, and Arda to-be, and 'connected' to the Song.'

Last edited:
Nerdanel, the wife of Feanor. She is known as "The Wise," which never made sense to me. This is partly anti-Feanorian sentiment, since I can't imagine anyone who willingly associates with Feanor being considered "wise", and she never seems to try to rein him in. But also, I just don't have any examples of her being wise,
We get very little of Nerdanel. Perhaps if there was more text referring to her at all, "the Wise" might make more sense.

Back