The name of everyone's favourite Returning King

Clueless Noob

Ar-Agorn son of Ar-Athorn
I can't find anything in the etymologies. What is the significance of the almost-but-not-quite Adunaic names?

Thanks for the actual derivation.
I was breaking those to make them similar to older Numenorian kings' names (like Ar-Gimilzor or Ar-Pharazon) and wondering if there was a significance.

There's a thing to be careful of, when looking for meaning in names. Sometimes names are just names, even if they superficially look like words. Someone with a very loose knowledge of English and an English dictionary could get lost trying to find the hidden meanings in my wife's name

heat
/hēt/
noun
noun: heat
  1. 1.
    the quality of being hot; high temperature.
    "it is sensitive to both heat and cold"
    intensity of feeling, especially of anger or excitement.
    "words few men would dare use to another, even in the heat of anger"
her
/hər/
pronoun
pronoun: her
  1. 1.
    used as the object of a verb or preposition to refer to a female person or animal previously mentioned or easily identified.
    "she knew I hated her"
determiner
possessive pronoun: her; possessive pronoun: Her; determiner: Her
  1. 1.
    belonging to or associated with a female person or animal previously mentioned or easily identified.
    "Patricia loved her job"

What hidden meaning lies locked within "Heather"?

The point is well taken: just because the name is applied to someone who speaks a given language, it doesn’t mean the name is from that language. My name comes from a Roman Gens ‘Antonius’ not from English. Trying to derive it from English words would likely lead one to think it had something to do with food produced by an unholy alliance of ants and bees.

Of course, we have evidence that these names are Sindarin names from a manuscript of JRRT’s from the 1950s and that they do break down as I’ve described.

Ant-honey... i's never made such a connection

Of course the difference is, jrrt made up whole languages because he liked the sound or melody of some combined vowels, but it is of course still a made up system.our names have a distinct history behind them...

And even these change because of reasons which are sometimes hard to trace back. Donald was once a very noble irish royal name, today it's a cartoon duck and a fastfood franchise.

I mean seriously, dumnos is celtic for deep, world, underworld, otherworld... vallos is ruler, king, lord. DUMNOVALLOS= Domhnall= Donald

Last edited:
Back