The nature of Elrond's healing of Frodo...

Nick Brindlow

Hi from Sunny Britain.

When listening to episode 98 and Elrond’s healing of Frodo, we discussed whether that healing was physical or spiritual. We seemed to come to the conclusion that it was mainly spiritual, but I wondering if we could go even more specific.

Following WW1, spiritualism saw a rise in popularity in British society. With this, came a greater appreciation for the notion of ‘spiritual healing’, envisaged as...

“energy therapy that aims to bring balance to mind, body and soul, as well as to stimulate the body’s own natural healing ability” https://www.harryedwardshealingsanctuary.org.uk/healing.html

In one of Tolkien’s letters, he states that the healing achievable by men like Aragorn could be seen as “a of magic with pharmacy and 'hypnotic' processes”, but could an Elf-Lord like Elrond manifest something more? In another letter, Tolkien also says that “Elves did not desire to dominate other wills, nor to usurp all the world to their particular pleasure”. Based on this, is Elrond’s healing more akin to bringing Frodo back into ‘balance’ with his world and encouraging his (seemingly innate) hobbit resilience to repair his other ills? Remember that we never get any description of blood, and Gandalf repeatedly remarks on the strength of hobbits.

Any thoughts?

It's possible, but personally, I see Frodo's issue as being less a matter of personal imbalance and more an issue of an outside spiritual force imposing itself upon him.

Absolutely! I meant more that hobbits seem to be naturally 'balanced', so the removal of the shard by application of 'energy', rather than some kind of surgical procedure, restores that balance, allowing frodo to heal himself rather than rely on further treatment from Elrond. Sound plausible?

I always pictured the shard being removed by magic (not quite telekinesis; more like a magical Star Trek transporter effect) and melted in the sunlight. Since the discussions we've been having, I also add a spiritual aspect to the healing, but exactly what that constitutes is unclear.

Back