The One Ring and the Mirror of Erised, reflections on desire

Rauþúlfr

I've been listening to the discussion of the nature of the One Ring's influence in session 114, and something occurred to me; the One Ring seems to influence its possessor in several ways. Most often, it seems to trigger rationalizations, like the Mirror of Erised it presents its holder with what they desire, although unlike the mirror from Harry Potter, the Ring presents itself as the tool by which those desires can be attained. (I apologize for the length of this post! And I know this draws on information from a chapter far in the future, but it reflects importantly on the passage at hand.)

We know that the One Ring was created to dominate and subjugate the other rings, but this is not how we see it functioning for the most part. Perhaps, because Frodo is not ready for that. Consider Frodo's discussion with Galadriel:

'I would ask one thing before we go,' said Frodo, 'a thing which I often meant to ask Gandalf in Rivendell. I am permitted to wear the One Ring: why cannot I see all the others and know the thoughts of those that wear them?'

'You have not tried,' she said. 'Only thrice have you set the Ring upon your finger since you knew what you possessed. Do not try! It would destroy you. Did not Gandalf tell you that the rings give power according to the measure of each possessor? Before you could use that power you would need to become far stronger, and to train your will to the domination of others. Yet even so, as Ring-bearer and as one that has borne it on finger and seen that which is hidden, your sight is grown keener. You have perceived my thought more clearly than many that are accounted wise. You saw the Eye of him that holds the Seven and the Nine. And did you not see and recognize the ring upon my finger?

Perhaps in this we see how the Ring is slowly corrupting Frodo from the "stout fellow with red cheeks, taller than some (hobbits), and fairer than most", with a cleft chin, a bright eye, and a perky personality, into the person we see at the Cracks of Doom who declares: '...I do not choose now to do what I came to do. I will not do this deed. The Ring is mine!'

We never see the One Ring making anyone do anything in the active sense. And other than conferring sudden invisibility, we never see it actively change anyone. Always it acts through rationalization. Even at the end where Frodo rationalization leads him to believe he can claim the ring and its power for himself.

Frodo never finds his hand moving to slip the Ring on his finger unless he is in the presence of the Ring Wraiths. I believe that this is even the case in the Prancing Pony. When there is a sense of danger the thought occurs put me on and escape! We never hear of the One Ring actively compelling anything. Perhaps entice, but never compel.

Consider the Mirror of Erised (desire spelled backwards) from Harry Potter, those who look into it see, as Dumbledore says, the deepest, most desperate desire of our hearts. However, by contrast: The happiest man on earth would be able to use the Mirror of Erised like a normal mirror, that is, he would look into it and see himself exactly as he is.

When he puts on the One Ring, Tom Bombadil remains as he is. He neither wants nor desires aught else. Others are not so fortunate, to include, I would suggest, Sauron! After all, the One Ring's compulsion to dominate and subjugate is precisely what drives Sauron. The ring reflects its creator’s mania to be safe, to brook no opposition, and to impose absolute mastery over all else. My suspicion is that in addition to putting part of his power into the One Ring, Sauron put part of his mania into it as well. Were Sauron to gaze into the Mirror of Erised, he would doubtless see himself as Master of All Middle Earth(tm).

The most active compulsion we see from the One Ring is the desire to keep and protect it. This has been discussed often enough to mostly pass over, although as Bilbo notes it is tricksy! In a letter Bilbo noted that: ‘… he had found out that the thing needed looking after; it did not seem always of the same size or weight; it... might suddenly slip off a finger where it had been tight.' Was the accident in the Prancing Pony a bit of the Ring’s whimsy then? I suspect not.

I believe that what Bilbo reported represents a quality of the Ring to remind its holder that it was so important that it required the attention it deserved. Again and again we see that brings with it an overwhelming compulsion to possess it. This is true for Gollum, for Frodo, and to some extent for Sam as well. (Although, strangely, Frodo would give it to Galadriel!) A point which must be considered at a later date.

BTW: Thank you so very much for guiding us through this, Corey. I appreciate it more than I can say!

Last edited:
Addendum: I know that this much of this post is looking ahead which rather violates the stricture about keeping within the pages we have before us. I rather needed to post here, lest looking back once we reach Galadriel's speech, I forget the thought entirely!
R

Back