The other Great Rings

NotACat

Were the Seven Rings for the Dwarves and the Nine Rings for Mortal Men made in batches that way, or were there just sixteen Rings which happened to be handed out in those numbers?

Was there anything that particularly distinguished a "Dwarf Ring" from a "Mortal Man Ring" or could they have been swapped without altering their purpose or the outcome?

All 19 Rings of Power were created by the Elves of Eregion, with knowledge provided by Annatar (Sauron in disguise).

At first the Elves created some lesser rings, which were trials before their mastery of the craft.

Then the Greater 16 Rings of Power were crafted by the Elves under Sauron's direct tutelage. There is no reference that at the time of their creation they were intended for for Dwarf or Man.

The three Elven-Rings were made as the last of the "batch" of 19 by Celebrimbor alone, and hidden from Sauron in the war that followed (during which Sauron recovered the other 16 Rings and handed them out to Dwarves and Men).

The One Ring was forged by Sauron alone as the 20th Ring.

All 19 Rings of Power were created by the Elves of Eregion, with knowledge provided by Annatar (Sauron in disguise).

OK... Just so I'm sure I understand correctly since it's been a long time that I've read Of the Rings of Power, the elves made the rings? I thought (and I think Dr Olsen said it in class) Annatar made all but the Three. The elves did the work and Annatar just helped? And by "helped" I mean installed the Sauron virus in the firmware?
Thanks

The Mirdain, the Noldor Elven smiths of Eregion studied under Annatar for 3 centuries. At the end of that period, the 16 were forged by the Noldor in a period of about 10 years.

I think the "virus in the firmware" analogy is incorrect, since even the Three (never touched or known to Sauron when they were made) lost their power when the One was destroyed.

Perhaps a better analogy is to say the spyware was built into the OS Kernel, like Windows 10 :)

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/r/ringsofpower.html

If the snare for the dwarven rings was the accumulation of wealth, then Bilbo's behavior and statements) at the end of the Hobbit (i.e. taking only two small chests) does not sound like someone under the effect of a dwarven ring

Well, even without the Rings of Power, the Dwarves had a "materialistic streak", as their Seven Ancestors were created by the impatient Aule, who was THE master-smith, working rock, metal, and gemstones.

Back