The Pelóri

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
The Pelóri are supposed to be absolutely massive and the tallest of all mountain ranges. Maybe we are going to need special effects here, but let's post some pictures and discuss - what kind of mountains are they?

One inspiration could be these, I think. It's from Kauai.
napali_1.jpg
721311b84d8bce6ec8449235e762139b.jpg

Of coure, somewhere in the mountains we've got the Taniquetil. But that deserves a thread if its own.

I feel like the Rocky Mountains would be appropriately massive, but it is slightly more difficult to get a good mountain range next to a beach like that.

Well, the jaggedness of the Pelori suggests young mountains, and your volcanic suggestion is pretty clever. Perhaps we can have a two-part location, where one location is the Pelori-as-seen-from Valinor (no sea needed) and a different location is the Pelori-seen-from-the-sea.

Well, the jaggedness of the Pelori suggests young mountains, and your volcanic suggestion is pretty clever. Perhaps we can have a two-part location, where one location is the Pelori-as-seen-from Valinor (no sea needed) and a different location is the Pelori-seen-from-the-sea.
Good idea, because the peak of Taniquetil should be more a really high mountain with snow on top.

Something like this will be ok for Taniquetil, although this is too broad I think. Also, we won't have two peaks. (And, as usual, the structures are added later on... ;)) Oh right, I said we should have a seperate thread for taniquetil. Well, we can anyway.
snow-peak-buddhist-monastery-its-background-nepal-36526474.jpg

Last edited:
Baja California is where the vestiges of the Rockies hit the Pacific Ocean. These are *not* tall, impressive mountains. But, if you film them without any scale, perhaps they could stand in for the much-more-impressive Pelori?

Erase the kayak, and this could be the Calacirya:
bajacalifornia_.jpg

TourBajaCalifornia6.jpg

*sigh* not on the coast:
turismo.jpg

Last edited:
The Alaskan Coast would have a better scale, though still not the Himalayas:

Alaskan-Coast-583.jpg

the-coast-guard-in-alaska-operates-in-some-of-the-most-isolated-parts-of-the-us-here-a-coast-guard-vessel-gets-underway-in-their-winter-bering-sea-patrol.jpg

coast.jpg

Art by Albert Bierstadt:
1967.136.7_1a.jpg

I found some pretty nice pictures from Alaska. I'm thinking the Pelóri could look more like this towards the north:
i.php
747546.JPG
3232542-Snow-Mountain-Range-ocean-yellow-flowers-seward-highway-anchorage-Alaska--Stock-Photo.jpg

Of course, some of these pictures won't be necessary this season. But when the Noldor go into exile and wander along the shores, they might be good.

Getting closer to the Helcaraxë (season 3):
Alaska-Blue-Water.jpg

Back