The show's budget: big, but finite

Spaceboot1

I'm sorry if I'm jumping the gun on this question, but I've noticed it come up a couple times, and I'm too eager to get my opinion out there. I think we're in some ways agreed that some kind of budget is important as a constraint, because that is precisely the difference between a movie and a book. A book kind of does have an infinite budget.

My conceit for a Silmarillion adaptation is that, if it were to happen in real life, it would be a big freaking deal. Think about the hype surrounding Jackson's adaptation of the Lord of the Rings, and how a huge segment of the film and special effects industry was mobilized just to make those films. Now think about how Game of Thrones has demonstrated that there is an audience for huge fantasy on television. A Google I'm Feeling Lucky search tells me that Game of Thrones averaged $6 million US per episode (some episodes cost more than others).

Given that a Silmarillion title might not even start production for another decade (in our imaginary alternate universe where this happens), I'd suggest a tripling of Game of Thrones's budget. Some things will go down in price, like the film equipment itself, while other things will go up. And of course we will give into the temptation to scale it up in terms of pure awesomeness of what can be achieved on screen.

That said, $18 million per episode is a lot, but it's not infinity, and there will still have to be choices to make, and occasional compromises. Even for Game of Thrones, there were sometimes scenes that were too large and epic to do with the show's budget. And it adds up over time; if you do ten episodes per season for ten years, that could be $1.8 billion, with a B, all told.

Oh, and one other thing, probably goes without saying, but I'll say it anyways. The point of having a budget is to have a starting point to support the discussion. If the community has a really great idea for an episode or a sequence that will go overbudget by a lot, you can always feel free to make that case.

And at the same time, maybe some episodes could be cheaper. It's not like you have to spend every last imaginary penny.

Instead of thinking of a precise budget, could we just judge whether a particular direction would be likely in a show of a comparable quality? So, for example, consider whether its likely that there will be x many A-list actors or how long/big a particularly special effects taxing scene might be on the basis of analogy with game of thrones?

As this is project is more about appreciating the amazing art that is The Silmarillion and not us pretending to be film makers, I really don't feel that there's a huge need for a budget of any form. If we are to make up a make belief budget for this make belief mini-series, however, I'd suggest a budget of $4 trillion (https://what-if.xkcd.com/111/)

Back