The Sword of Egalmoth

Ange1e4e5

Egalmoth is a Lord of Gondolin whose main distinctive feature is his sword, described as being curved to contrast with the straight swords wielded by other Free Peoples. What type of curved sword do we want to take after? Saber? Scimatar? Katana? Something similar to Hadhafang from the films?

Egalmoth is a Lord of Gondolin whose main distinctive feature is his sword, described as being curved to contrast with the straight swords wielded by other Free Peoples. What type of curved sword do we want to take after? Saber? Scimatar? Katana? Something similar to Hadhafang from the films?

I'm thinking that a messer might be the way to go to keep the style consistent with the other weapons.

I found this image illustrating some different types of messers:
MesserTypologyZornhau4_n.jpg

On a tangential note, I really like how part the hilt of the Jagdschwert looks kind of like a seashell. Perhaps that design could be incorporated into the sword left for Tuor in Vinyamar.

The jagdschwert is of course for the hunt, as such it has a sharpened edge and a sawtoothed edge...

The other possibility would be that Egalmoth simply uses an older model, which has come out of use among the Noldor, like a khopesh-like weapon for example, 8r something similar to an iberian Falcata.

Quite the opposite! He's a vegetarian as far as i know...

Though i have just re-read his description and i am not that sure about it anymore...

He was clad i bear-hide and used a barbed fish-bone spear... i guess he at last killed predators and ate fish it seems, of course bear-meat is edible too.

As far as the design for the blade, the curve should be slight; Matt Easton of Scholagladitoria says that one of the problems with the 1796 Light Cavalry Sabre was the large curve, which made it hard to riposte with.

Is Tuor a hunter?

Quite the opposite! He's a vegetarian as far as i know...

Though i have just re-read his description and i am not that sure about it anymore...

He was clad i bear-hide and used a barbed fish-bone spear... i guess he at last killed predators and ate fish it seems, of course bear-meat is edible too.
I didn't mean for the jagdschwert to be Tuor's sword. I was only admiring the hilt design of that particular sword pictured.

Yes, i see now reading againnthat i overlooked that part or misread your intention.The hilt and guard are fine of course... saw-toothed edges are for Cultures who like to cut off limbs or heads, such as Orcs...

'It is not easy for us to tell the difference between two mortals' "
Easier than Elves. When you're an Elf, you only have a small range of hair colors to choose from (unless you're of Mahtan's line) and there's a scene in The Hobbit where the Dwarves mistake an Elf for a woman.

Last edited:
I found this image illustrating some different types of messers:
MesserTypologyZornhau4_n.jpg

On a tangential note, I really like how part the hilt of the Jagdschwert looks kind of like a seashell. Perhaps that design could be incorporated into the sword left for Tuor in Vinyamar.
What did we decide for the design for the equipment left in Vinyamar?

Well, for the helmet i know that i wouldn't really go for a historical example but rather historicist illustrations... though i suppose to use real-world influences from greek chaldician and phrygian winged helmets and dacian high helmets.

The rest i guess is mail and a reverse teardrop great shield.

What did we decide for the design for the equipment left in Vinyamar?
Here are the notes I took from the Session 4-22 when it was discussed on the podcast:
Armor for Tuor
  • Swan wing motif. Should be like citadel guard helmets. Tuor’s armor should look like a sentinel. Not like knight armor. Emerald on its breast.

Back