The Tolkien Professor website and podcast are down

BigRed

I am new to the Tolkien Professor podcast. I am now hooked but have a huge problem now, the website and podcast feeds are down. I just completed Silmarillion Seminar #27 but cannot download #28 or any higher numbers from anywhere including itunes. If I go to http://tolkienprofessor.com/ to download from there it comes up with

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Any ideas where I can download the rest of the Silmarillion Seminars?

I am new to the Tolkien Professor podcast. I am now hooked but have a huge problem now, the website and podcast feeds are down. I just completed Silmarillion Seminar #27 but cannot download #28 or any higher numbers from anywhere including itunes. If I go to http://tolkienprofessor.com/ to download from there it comes up with

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Any ideas where I can download the rest of the Silmarillion Seminars?

Welcome! I've been using the podcast apps Podkicker and Podcast Addict to listen in, so I'll have to do some digging to find exactly where they are now stored.

I appreciate your quick response. Unfortunately all of those links rely on the Tolkien Professor website for the feed. My podcast listener, podkeeper free was working fine with the Tolkien Professor until 2 days ago. I went went online to download directly from the site and noticed it was down. I do a lot of driving for my job and have been loving doing a deep dive into the silmarillion. Hopefully I can finish this series.

I appreciate your quick response. Unfortunately all of those links rely on the Tolkien Professor website for the feed. My podcast listener, podkeeper free was working fine with the Tolkien Professor until 2 days ago. I went went online to download directly from the site and noticed it was down. I do a lot of driving for my job and have been loving doing a deep dive into the silmarillion. Hopefully I can finish this series.

Hmmm. It seems that the old episodes are not on the new server.... I'd suggest going right to the source @tolkienprof on Twitter.

Tolkien Professor‏@tolkienprof
So, I know that the Tolkien Prof website is down. It is currently under pointless and senseless assault by Chinese hackers with, apparently, a lot of time on their hands. We’re working on it. But the podcast feed and the YT videos are still all up.

I mean, I'll physically see him (and likely whomever is in charge of hosting the old podcast episodes) on the 23rd, so I can mention it then.

I greatly enjoyed the Silm Seminar sessions myself (especially since I didn't start until after they re-recorded the missing final episode so I got to hear it without delay haha), and that led directly to my active participation in the Exploring the Lord of the Rings discussions, which I am finding immensely rewarding.

Anyone know where the Silmarillion Seminar can be found? The Tolkienprofessor-site seem to be down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going trough the SilmSem with the speed of continental drift.
I'm behind in the current Le Mort D'Arthur class, but Corey has mentioned how it's going to be almost twice as many sessions as the previous longest MythGard class. He is technically correct, since the 35 sessions of the Silmarillion Seminar were pre-MythGard, but they should count. They should definitely count!

Back