The Trees

Nice! It makes me wonder, how far apart do the Trees stand? Closeness/separation will make a significant difference I believe. In answer to my own question, I suggest they are close but not so they touch. In the picture of the (other) trees in Haerengil's link, they are very close, which will really mingle the lights and make the two A Pair of trees, but I a slight distance to set them apart as individual beings would be best.

The Trees are quite Huge... like two very tall buildings. I don't think their fruits touch or intervine...

funny, i never paid attention to this before... the Podcast of course mentions the Laburnum or golden-chain tree
in the Poem theres mention of a tree men call the golden-rain...

of course there#s a realworld goldenrain tree in Asia:

goldenraintree-92.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koelreuteria_paniculata

another thing i've realised watching the table for time tellung invalinor again...

pending of how you interpret tje text we have up to 9 hours of twilught each day.. if it's too bright for elves ti find some sleep they can easily just go inside and shut the candles...(if they need such things)

Yes, there are three different trees with names similar to golden chain/golden rain (if you look earlier in this thread, you'll find links). I think that the laburnum is the most obvious choice intended by Tolkien - the description he gave of the golden blossoms matches what it looks like, and it's the European one (the others are Asian). I am puzzled why he would use the name golden rain when golden chain is the more commonly used name in English - he knew his trees and wouldn't have made a mistake. But I don't know enough about where those names came from, and if it's different in Swedish it's possible that the modern English name is 'wrong' and he was correcting it.

Back