The (Unofficial) SilmFilm Organization Project©

I wondered what the best format for it would be too.. I'd think it would be most helpful for looking it up if you could see a list (just a bunch of named folders can do) of all the places/costumes/topics there are visualisations on and then open the respective folders and find the contents and maybe a text file summarising the discussion on it.
I was thinking something along the same lines, but if you did it as a Slides it could be all in one place, not having to open separate image and text files.
Perhaps there is a way to do both. Have a character profile in a Google Doc with "Lineage" link that takes the reader to the appropriate family tree image file.
On thing that may work is putting the genealogy image at the top of a file that has that character subset within it, that way you can refer to the genealogy as you go through the characters of that subset.

The whole idea of having a file for each subset (Noldor,House of Beor, etc) could be impossible to do though, as the genealogies start to merge, i.e is Earendil included with Noldor or house of Hador? But I think doing one document for every single character would be over-cluttered.

How easy is a fandom wiki to set up and maintain?
I thought about this as well, but have pottered about with fandom/wikis format a bit and never really got the hang of it.

Genealogies are tough... i made one with familyecho for the arthurian characters...involving several hundred characters...
It turned out unreadable, but i could screenshot snippets of the whole thing and add them to character articles so... it was still useful.

I always thought it was part of the fun of the Silmarillion to learn the lineage patterns. Probably one reason I’ve ended up joining this group lol. But seriously, great idea to organise this material.

Gee, really? I thought and still think it is hell on earth.Also so contradicting at times...
I still struggle to get the family relations in my head and most time i fail.

Ah, true, I chose an invented character specifically because there would be more to talk about! So, yes, 'original character invented for Silm Film' would be the pertinent info there.

And I agree that a family tree would be a more useful place to show all relationships, but I think there should be *some* connection given in a bio page like this - either a parent or spouse or child to show how this character connects to the story. For the main characters, we obviously don't have to include all their connections.

Maedhros
Citizenship: Fëanorean
Titles/Aliases: Lord of Himring
Seasons: 2-?
Parents: Fëanor and Nerdanel
Significant items: Missing Right Hand (from Season 4 on)
Adaptational decisions: 'practical' in his evaluation of political situations, childhood best friend with Fingon, main advocate for fighting Morgoth
Biography:
Season 2: Childhood and role in Fëanor's feud with his half-brothers
Season 3: Role in the Rebellion of the Noldor, Kinslaying, betrayal of Fingolfin. Stands aside at the Shipburning, agrees to meet with Sauron after the death of Fëanor, imprisoned in Angband
Season 4: Rescued by Fingon, cedes crown to Fingolfin, urges attack against Angband, removes Fëanoreans to East Beleriand, attends Mereth Aderthad and Galadriel's wedding in Nargothrond. Has Narsil commissioned for Aegnor.
Season 5: Reinforces Himring, attempts to make alliance with the Dwarves, turns down Fingolfin's offer to attack Angband, defends Himring successfully during the Dagor Bragollach
Season 6: ???
Season 7: Plans Union of Maedhros with High King Fingon, allies with Easterlings, survives Nirnaeth Arnoediad, loses Himring
Season 8: TBD
Season 9: TBD

I think it’d be more helpful to not solely approach the breakdowns from a plot perspective but primarily from a character perspective. I think often discussions of the broad strokes can lean toward adapting moments from a work and it isn’t always until the writing stage that emotions and wants are made plain. It’s easy to put the cart before the horse is what I’m saying.

As someone newly approaching the project (which this organisational approach would lend to) I think it’s vital to lay out characters wants, needs, goals, temperaments and who they clash with, who they relate to. It’ll make things much easier for writers writing future seasons to refer back to these and see where characters have been and consider where to take them. Then we can be led by serving our characters and finding the emotional hooks in Tolkien’s work and not simply converting moments.

Last edited:
I was thinking something along the same lines, but if you did it as a Slides it could be all in one place, not having to open separate image and text files.

It would be nice to have all in one place, I just thought it also might be nice to have some kind of index where you can see ah, I wanna look at costumes, and then under costumes, i wanna look at haradhrim dress (or sth), and then you can navigate. The problem of one big file is that you lose the opportunity to have a structure of the content, you know what i mean?

It would be nice to have all in one place, I just thought it also might be nice to have some kind of index where you can see ah, I wanna look at costumes, and then under costumes, i wanna look at haradhrim dress (or sth), and then you can navigate. The problem of one big file is that you lose the opportunity to have a structure of the content, you know what i mean?
Ah, I think you misunderstood me. Probably my fault for trying to explain something while at work and not going into enough detail. :D

It would all be in one place: a folder. But in the folder you have subfolders for costume design, set design, etc. and within those folders, you have an individual file for each location or culture or even character you are looking for. That file would be a "Google Slide" (basically a PowerPoint) that would have slides that would focus on separate pieces of art, or location references or whatnot, along with some text to put those images in context. I've been meaning to do this as a sample, but keep letting it slip my mind.

In Silm Film:

Findis - chose to remain in Valinor with her mother Indis
Írimë - killed during the Kinslaying, while attacking the archway over the harbor
Eärwen - killed during the Kinslaying, while leading the archers on the archway over the harbor

This all happens in the first two episodes of Season 3.

Last edited:
Still sad about Irimë dying, I have a soft spot for the idea of her as a sort of mobile power allied to fingolfin in Beleriand. But oh well, that's the good thing about the silm, you're gonna have different parallel headcanons anyway.

This is a sample genealogy that I created for the House of Thingol.

House of Thingol

1. Elwë Thingol (Before Y.T. 1102-F.A. 502): King of Doriath. Husband of Melian the Maia, father of Lúthien Tinüviel. One of the chieftains of the Teleri with his brother Olwë, but was entranced by Melian and became lord of those who left to search for him, who became known as the Sindarin. Banned the use of Quenya and the wearing of jewels as punishment for the Noldor. Instigated the Quest for the Silmaril as a bride-price for Lúthien, for which he ensnared his house in the Oath of Fëanor. Foster father of Túrin son of Húrin. Slain by Dwarves over the Nauglamir and the Silmaril, sparking conflict between Elves and Dwarves that has lasted for almost 6500 years (present day being the War of the Ring).
    1. Lúthien (Y.T. 1200-F.A. 503 assumed): Daughter of Elwë Thingol and Melian the Maia. Wife of Beren Calmost, mother of Dior. Beloved of Daeron the minstrel. Instrumental in the Quest for the Silmaril, responsible for the cleansing of Tol-in-Gaurhoth and the sleep of Morgoth. Died of grief after Beren was slain by Carcharoth. However, Lúthien, in the Halls of Mandos, sang of song of such beauty that Mandos was moved to pity and was allowed to become mortal with Beren; the two would dwell on the isle of Tol Galen in Ossiriand for the rest of their days.
      1. Dior (F.A. 470-F.A. 506†): The Fair; son of Lúthien and Beren Calmost. Husband of Nimloth, father of Elúred, Elurín, and Elwing. First of the Peredhil, the Half-Elven. Second King of Doriath, succeeding his grandfather King Thingol. Received the Silmaril from his parents Lúthien and Beren. Slain in Menegroth during the Second Kinslaying by Celegorm, who Dior also killed.
        1. Elúred (F.A. 500-F.A. 506?): Son of Dior, twin brother of Elurín, elder brother of Elwing. Captured during the Second Kinslaying with his brother and cast into the woods by the servants of Celegorm to starve.
        2. Elurín (F.A. 500-F.A. 506?): Son of Dior, twin brother of Elúred, elder brother of Elwing. Captured during the Second Kinslaying with his brother and cast into the woods by the servants of Celegorm to starve.
        3. Elwing (F.A. 503-?): Youngest child and only daughter of Dior and Nimloth. Wife of Eärendil, mother of twins Elrond and Elros. Only member of the House of Thingol to survive the Second Kinslaying, with the Silmaril in her possession. Threw herself into the sea during the Third Kinslaying in F.A. 538, from which she was rescued by birds. Accompanied her husband Eärendil to Valinor where they pleaded for the help of the Valar on behalf of the Children of Iluvatar. When offered the choice of the Peredhil, Elwing chose the fate of Elves, as did Eärendil. Resides in a tower on the borders of the Sundering Seas.

Episode Outlines for Season 4 seem to be missing from the folder here. At least, when I open the folder, it appears empty. Also, Season 3 is missing several episodes. Seasons 1, 2, and 5 all look complete. Not sure if this is a permissions issue, or if files are actually missing, but I thought I would bring that to your attention.

If you are looking for Season 4 Episode Outlines, look here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lYvsNjUcoI1Vsyeq8KV_fQtcRZPThGDt?usp=sharing
I think the first two episodes might be missing from that folder for some reason.

Last edited:
Episode Outlines for Season 4 seem to be missing from the folder here. At least, when I open the folder, it appears empty. Also, Season 3 is missing several episodes. Seasons 1, 2, and 5 all look complete. Not sure if this is a permissions issue, or if files are actually missing, but I thought I would bring that to your attention.

If you are looking for Season 4 Episode Outlines, look here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lYvsNjUcoI1Vsyeq8KV_fQtcRZPThGDt?usp=sharing
I think the first two episodes might be missing from that folder for some reason.
Thats... really weird. But, it explains what @kanjisaid before about a lot of missing stuff.Screenshot_20220227-075319_Drive~2.jpg
It even shows the little "shared" icon on each document. And clicking on that shows these permissions:

Screenshot_20220227-075341_Drive~2.jpg

So, I'm not sure what's up there...

When I open Season 3, this is what I see:

1645986208811.png

So, yes, it shows that the folder has been shared with me. But the folder contains only 8 outlines.
I can't see the first four documents you show on your screen.

And then Season 4 is empty:
1645986404497.png

So, something very weird is going on. I am not sure what the issue is.....

Back