The Vanishing Gandalf & Other Reappearing Tricks

StarrySkyGazer

Hi Narnion,
Currently trying to catch up to the class (I'm at the council of Elrond right now) - but coconuts only go so fast...ANYWAYS. I thought I would ask this before I forget.

You were discussing the Rivendell scene where Frodo wakes up with Gandalf at his bedside. You were largely talking about their conversation and the appearance of Sam. For starters, it occurred to me that while Frodo might be coming to terms with his new "magical" location and the change from home, the scene itself was a perfect throw back to his first discussions with Gandalf in Bag End. He first learns about his quest while in the comfort of home and discussing secret things with Gandalf. Sam, though at first not part of the conversation, is quickly infenestrated into the conversation. The Rivendell scene parallels the same sequence of events. Tolkien seems to give us a perfect micro-journey or "cycle" within the epic journey. Frodo's quest to bring the ring to Rivendell is complete, so the next part of his journey will begin in a same manner - going from safety and comfort into the unknown...ever on and on. (with Sam included)

Which brings me to my second point. Gandalf as the "mentor" archetype seems to fill his wizardly roll as a sort of "time marker" or literary device quite well, in order to define the stages in the heroes journey. But Gandalf both fulfills this advisor roll and moves away from the stereotype - often becoming his own hero. Gandalf always starts the journey as a "stormcrow" and he seems to leave the journey in order to let the Hero take up his mantle. This would fulfill the archetype, and yet he is much more than the plot point traditional stories seem to use the sage/mentor for. Gandalf (unless I am mistaken - and please correct me if I am wrong) is uniquely his own character and has his own journey. He doesn't just initiate a journey, present a magic item, step back in order to let the hero fulfill his destiny, or come in to save the day (either by deus ex machina when the lesson is learned. Gandalf does all of these things AND also plays a VERY active role in his world.
Gandalf "cycles" throughout the story, rather than just its large beginning and end. He moves the story forward, but he is his own person. Tolkien gives him great reasons for his sudden departures and entries (even if ret-conned), and those reasons often have to do with Gandalf's own heroic journey. He is both decidedly aloof (typical of mentor) and yet decidedly concerned/empathetic. More modern fantasy like Harry Potter and Star Wars follow this model later on, but they are still more passive, and don't seem to go through their own character growth arcs until later spin-offs.

I have listed Gandalf's Appearance/Reapparance below for reference, but I was wondering if you can weigh (based on traditional story) or expand on this further in regards to the tropes we see for the mentor, and how Gandalf changes that dynamic. (Similar to how Goldberry changes the trope of the evil witch in the woods)

Examples:
Hobbit:
1. Introducing Bilbo to Dwarves - Leaving a Note on Bilbos Mantle.
2. Leaving Bilbo and the Dwarves before the Trolls - Reappearing to Turn the Trolls to Stone
3. Leaving the group again at Mirkwood - Only to step in again before the Battle of Five Armies.
Lord of the Rings:
1. Helping Bilbo to Let Go of the Ring - Letting Bilbo travel himself
2. Telling Frodo about the Ring - checking in on him, then riding away again
3. MIA when Frodo is pursued by the Wring Wraiths, but saves Frodo at the Ford (with a lot of help)
4. At Frodo's side when he wakes and travels with the Fellowship - Lost in Moria - Aragorn takes up lead
5. Literally DIES, but Reappears (Reborn) to lead war effort and assist others, distract Sauron while Frodo is at Mount Doom,
- Saves Frodo and Sam from exploding Mountain
6. "Disappears" before the reclaiming of the Shire, Reappears to take Frodo to the Gray Havens/Over the Sea

Last edited:
Back