The Witch King’s Notched Blade

Dorondor

Just a short comment, as I can’t stop thinking about this notched blade in the scene on Weathertop (again, but we’ll get through it).

As you mentioned, there is precedent for the blades and weapons becoming notched through usage and war, as Tolkien often illustrated. If the Witch King’s blade is a manifestation of his will, wouldn’t it make sense that it is notched? The Witch King himself has become “notched” in his struggle with the will of Sauron, so it’d make sense his blade took that form.

But, with that logic, we could say, “why notched and not cracked or broken?” But, wasn’t having a “notch” in your blade or gun often used as an expression of having killed someone, or in a greater sense, having experienced war? This would make sense as a linguistic reference in a way we see throughout his stories. I don’t actually know if this phrase was used around the time Tolkien would have heard war slang himself, but I’d like to know.

Last edited:
I always thought people put a notch in either their belt, that presumably held the knife/sword, or in the hilt of the weapon itself, to signify some significant victory.

On the other hand, there is another meaning to putting another notch in one's belt, so maybe that's excessively confusing :D

One other possibility (which is what I always assumed) is that the blade was notched specifically to ensure that the blade would break off in the wound. That would give a functional reason to the notch.

One other possibility (which is what I always assumed) is that the blade was notched specifically to ensure that the blade would break off in the wound. That would give a functional reason to the notch.

This is how I have ALWAYS read it - that it's an intention design of a very specific weapon. Which is why he used it vs. a full sized sword. And that has always made me believe even more that the Witch King's objective was to subdue Frodo in this way and not kill him outright. Whether for punishment for holding the ring or some other purpose.

Doc Staples said:
I also agree with this. And it's not a one-shot weapon, either: that's why the remaining part of the blade is notched even though the point is already broken off (and is working its way into Frodo). Each notch marks a spot where the remaining tip can break off. Multiple notches, to provide multiple broken-off bits for multiple victims.

Having just listened to the whole discussion, my thoughts are that while it's really fun to dissect things to the Nth degree, I think we always need to remind ourselves - "is it in the text?" And sometimes the obvious thing is THE THING.

I don't think it matters if the blade was obsidian, steel or spirit. It was notched for a purpose. Had the WK hit Frodo in the heart immediately, then boom, it would have been over. But if not, it can still get him. We can remember that the WK was a sorcerer from long ago, and that this sort of this is like totally his bag, baby. Also, Sauron (ye old Annatar) is one of the most skilled sub creators ever. Sauron could have certainly influenced the design of such an insidious weapon too.

Sure, notches come from damage - I get the search on the term. But I think in this case the term notch was used to show something missing.

How does a steel blade get notched from a stabbing flesh - even if it skipped off bone? It wouldn't. I say same goes for obsidian. And I don't know how a "spirit blade" gets notched at all without it being there by design.

To me this is another reason why the other four had no need to advance (regardless of whether we feel there were stopped or not). The Witch King had the only thing that mattered.

Back