Thorin's Hall delving

Fielder

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the field trip to Thorn's Gate and Thorin's Hall, I just wish I could have been there for the live class. I had never considered that Thorin's Hall (and the rest of the dwarven ruins in the Blue Mountains) may have at one time been associated with the dwarf clan(s) that delved either Nogrod or Belegost. It is such a simple, logical conclusion that I am embarrassed it never occurred to me before. I'm forced to wonder if the original clan that settled in the Blue Mountains was non other than the shifty Dourhands. They certainly are not of the same clan as their Longbeard cousins (Durin's folk) and since it appears that Skorgrim's countenance is plastered all over Sarnur that seems to be a reasonable assumption. Besides, wasn't it the Dourhands that were residing in Thorin's Hall during the Prologue? Or maybe they were squatting too...

AFAIK, the Dourhands and Skorgrim are a LOTRO-specific invention. The Silmarillion offers no details as for the awakening places of the ancestors of the dwarven clans, but there is some information in Of Dwarves and Men (The History of Middle-earth Volume 12, The Peoples of Middle-earth). The Beleriand-era dwarves of the Blue Mountains were the descendants of two unnamed ancestors of the Firebeard and Broadbeam clans, who were placed by Aulë in the Blue Mountains. When Beleriand was destroyed, the survivors fled eastward and many joined with Durin's folk in Khazad-dûm. Only thousands of years after the destruction of Beleriand did the dwarves (under King Thráin II) return to the Blue Mountains.

Back