Thought on Organization.

I think grouping episodes by chapter is an important index, though what that would look like for the Council of Elrond, and presumably some other chapters we won't begin for years, is mind-boggling. People using this site as a resource are likely to look for chapter titles first. Perhaps the episode summaries can be used here. This will come closest, I think, to having the book appear. And the episode summaries can be coded by theme/category for deeper diving.

The poetry needs its own place, clearly. I agree that this section should have an introductory essay by Corey, but could possibly include some other essays as well.

Perhaps the episode summaries can be used here. This will come closest, I think, to having the book appear. And the episode summaries can be coded by theme/category for deeper diving.

The poetry needs its own place, clearly. I agree that this section should have an introductory essay by Corey, but could possibly include some other essays as well.

Rachel, this is pretty much exactly what I'm picturing. I think instead of using the actual text of the book, we can use Tony's episode summaries with specific references back to the text using a citation system like the LR Citation system or the one used by the Digital Tolkien Project.
We can then create more detailed articles on in-depth discussions which can contain excerpts of the episode transcriptions we are currently starting to develop, and any forum threads on that topic from that episode.
The overall theme pages could potentially just be overviews (similar to the episode summaries, we could create theme summaries) and have links to the more detailed articles.
I agree the longer chapters with many episodes could get quite unwieldy, so I think it could be a good idea to summarise our ideas further into chapter summaries pages, capturing the main themes and discussion points for a wider view of the text.

I'd love to get some essays from Corey on close reading, first-time-reader perspective, poetry analysis etc. but it will depend on if he has the time - I'll ask him if he is interested in doing something like this.

Back