Thoughts on Earendil...

I4detail

I haven't been able to listen to the latest episode all the way through (because it hasn't shown up on the podcast feeds yet, and I wasn't able to listen to the whole ... what are we calling these? Courses? Shows? Episodes? Anyway, whatever it is, I haven't heard the whole thing, though I was able to catch the first half hour or so live.)

Just wondering if anyone mentioned this? Corey said there were a number of rap songs that he couldn't mention in polite company that had a similar rhyme scheme, but I've been waiting to see what people's thoughts on the topic were....

Last edited:
the latest episode all the way through (because it hasn't shown up on the podcast feeds yet,
I've been really looking forward to this episode, but I also rely on the podcast feed, so I am still looking forward to it.

The Eärendil poem has always been my favorite one in the entire LotR. But it was somewhat ruined for me when someone pointed out that it can be sung to the tune of "A Modern Major General" and it's just so hard to get that back out of my poor head!

Hope we haven't ruined it now for other people. . .

I'm only just now getting to 118, and nearing the end of the discussion (I think; for all I know there's going to be a few more months on Eärendil, which is fine by me), and there has been no mention of Gilbert and Sullivan (Colbert makes the connection above), and we could get into it when we look at earlier versions, but the whole idea of trisylabic rhymes, as Corey mentions, is most often used for comic effect, as in Major-General. That's why (as Corey again mentioned) that the rhymes are often slant and near rhymes and not perfectly symmetrical, because that gets silly rather quickly.

Hi 14detail. There was a bit of banter around 'Errantry' going to the tune of 'A modern major general', during the class yesterday.

Corey was trying to fit it (unsuccessfully thus far) into a rap beat instead. You might look at that class when it posts.

That's a secondary issue I'm having; when classes post to the feed. The entire fundraising campaign episodes were all dropped the last day or the day after the campaign ended. Not that it means I can't still donate any time I want, just that there are perks to participating in the campaign that others might have wanted to try for and can't. Is it a big thing? No, just that it would be nice to have a more stable feed, rather than nothing for a month, then four issues dropping at once. If there were something simple that a duffer such as I could do (submit this feed link to this place), I'd be happy to do it, but I suspect part of the reason for it's relative delay is its relative complexity.

The fundraising campaign and the drawings associated with it have all been extended to (I think) 5 November, due to the problem they had with uploading the classes, that you mention.

When I can’t find the latest episodes on standard podcast feeds, I try the twitch app or YouTube. They’re usually there before anywhere else. I hope that helps

Back