Throwback - one more very late thought regarding boulders

Sorry, I'm catching up with the podcast so I'm very late on this topic, but for the sake of completeness I wanted to share a boulder theory which didn't seem to get discussed (as far as I can tell.)

What if both the horses and boulders were created by Gandalf as a symbolic message of resistance for the black riders to take back to Sauron? Gandalf knew that even if he and Elrond were successful in preventing the Nazgul from crossing the ford, they would still survive and surely report back the event to their master, so he must have known that Sauron would learn about the imagery of the boulders and white horses. In that case the white horses could symbolize a direct challenge to Sauron's conquest and the boulders might symbolize Sauron's eventual downfall (since falling down is what boulders do.) This could also suggest a foreshadowing of the downfall of Sauron's works in Book 6, Chapter 4: The Field Of Cormallen. I'm at work and don't have the books in front of me, but the Nazgul being taken out of play by large aquatic boulders seems somewhat similar to the Nazgul flying to their doom into the blast range of an exploding volcano.

Back