Tolkien Professor Podcast Audio Quality

dietlbomb

I don't want to sound like a complainer, but I've been noticing lately that Prof. Olsen's voiced consonants (s, sh, f, v, etc.) are sounding distorted when I listen to the podcast. I don't know what solution is: perhaps an improvement to the sound recording program, or some sort of filter for his microphone.

Or maybe my audio system doesn't work very well. Does anyone else have this problem?

I haven’t noticed it. I listen to the live session on my iPhone. I will try to pay some attention to it the next time.

I have been enjoying the LotRO broadcast but wanted to make a request -- if anyone knows how to forward it to Prof. Corey Olson -- to turn off the LotRO game sounds when recording a stream.

I greatly prefer the streams when he doesn't have game sounds audible. I'm watching Gryfflet stroll through the Shire and the background battle sounds (caused by other PCs?) and random NPC dialogue/comments are both very frequent and very, very loud. They kind of hurt my ears, and make it very difficult to hear the Prof. talk.

I have been enjoying the LotRO broadcast but wanted to make a request -- if anyone knows how to forward it to Prof. Corey Olson -- to turn off the LotRO game sounds when recording a stream.

I greatly prefer the streams when he doesn't have game sounds audible. I'm watching Gryfflet stroll through the Shire and the background battle sounds (caused by other PCs?) and random NPC dialogue/comments are both very frequent and very, very loud. They kind of hurt my ears, and make it very difficult to hear the Prof. talk.
Interesting: I have never watched nor attended live; I only listen to the MP3s, and in those the game sounds are very soft: nearly inaudible. This is good, with one small exception: sometimes Trish speaks and I can barely hear her. But that is not a problem for me; when she has something important to say, the volume generally comes up. This makes me guess that Prof. Olsen is controlling the audio mix in real-time.
I would have thought, though, that the MP3 would be identical to the soundtrack of the video. Sounds like it's not!

The MP3s of the SilmFilm sessions usually work fine for me, except when somebody gets cut out by static or just dropped. I would prefer watching them on YouTube, if they have visuals, but I haven't gotten to episodes that have those (if any do -- I'm not sure).

The LotRO sessions I've been watching on YouTube. Corey said he re-edits them to add the game sounds back in, when possible. His voice I can hear just fine, when not drowned out by something else. The odd thing is that when he himself is in combat, the sounds seem quieter than the background combat sounds that occur much of the time while he's walking peacefully. It's pretty weird.

Back