Ungoliant.

Karita Alexander

Administrator
Ungoliant is high up on my list of favorite Tolkien characters due to her being weird, unexplained, and genuinely scary. While it would be easy to do the obviously-evil-crazy-lady thing (think Bellatrix Lestrange as played by Helena Bonham Carter), I think we should cast the pre-giant spider Ungoliant with somewhat more subtlety. I personally imagine a beautiful female with an unsettling gaze and a voice in a lower register.
So I would like to nominate Ruth Negga. She has played a variety of characters, but I first came across her as the cold and manipulative Raina in Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. In my opinion that character outshone all of the other Bad Guys that she was working for; and I can easily picture this actress playing someone who is capable of creeping out the normally very self-assured Melkor.

I nominate Krysten Ritter.
images
images
images

If I remember correctly, her destiny is unknown, but it is said that she might have consumed herself.
Isn't there an "apocryphal story", or the next best thing, that Eärendil killed her during his voyages in Vingilótë?

Isn't there an "apocryphal story", or the next best thing, that Eärendil killed her during his voyages in Vingilótë?
Personally, I hope not - I think the idea of her eating herself is perfect. But I don't know, I haven't read all the volumes of HOME.

I think that was one of the tales he planned but never wrote. I think Tolkien ever only wrote one poem about Earendil's voyages that wasn't specifically the part we get in the Published Silmarillion.

Back