Utumno and surroundings (Including Angband)

I was being a bit facetious there. However, the hosts have requested that Sauron has awed/cowed/broken some elves into his service by this point, so having elves working in his lab does not seem out of place given that.

While I keep calling them "drow" in jest, I would think they would be pale, to the point where you could see their veins, darkened by their acceptance of evil.

I also think that, as opposed to PJ's lumpy orcs, the fallen elves should have incredibly angular features: like "able to cut paper with their cheekbones" angular.

An idea for mixing "evil scientist lab!" with "austere black granite" for Sauron's section of Angband... remember the cloth covered statues in The Day of the Doctor special (Dr. Who)? We could take that idea, with maybe black or red silk, but make the shapes underneath much more twisted/distorted/unsettling. We never need to take the silk off, but a few of those scattered without explanation in his lab could be really creepy.

like this one?

dead_elf.jpg

I always kind of liked Prince Nuada:

maxresdefault.jpg

An idea for mixing "evil scientist lab!" with "austere black granite" for Sauron's section of Angband... remember the cloth covered statues in The Day of the Doctor special (Dr. Who)? We could take that idea, with maybe black or red silk, but make the shapes underneath much more twisted/distorted/unsettling. We never need to take the silk off, but a few of those scattered without explanation in his lab could be really creepy.

Implying without showing is perfect for a real sense of horror. There could be *anything* under that sheet, and thin silk falls beautifully, draping and showing all the odd contours...oh yes, that is a great idea!

Of course, black silk sheets and slabs of black rock would just be a blank nothing, but I have no problem with red or white sheets here.

Also of course, the audience will expect a sheet to be pulled away at some point, but I'm fine with being a tease and showing nothing in this case.

Last edited:
Implying without showing is perfect for a real sense of horror. There could be *anything* under that sheet, and silk falls beautifully, draping and showing all the odd contours...oh yes, that is a great idea!

Of course, black silk sheets and slabs of black rock would just be a blank nothing, but I have no problem with red or white sheets here.

Also of course, the audience will expect a sheet to be pulled away at some point, but I'm fine with being a tease and showing nothing in this case.
Glad you approve! ;)

I'd argue for red or yellowish (or maybe a mix? suggesting fire?) before white: we have Melkor associated with white/silver in Season 1, but I think that should be unique among the bad guys. I mentally have grey/brown/orange associated with Gothmog and the Balrogs -- fire, yes, but more smoke/shadow, since they have fallen and imprisoned themselves in darkness. Sauron having a similar but brighter/more stark (e.g. the black marble or granite) color pallet could be interesting...

A touch of white can be very ominous - like the head of Théoden's cane that he used while under Saruman's curse.

But I am now picturing a gradated silk in yellows and reds and am completely in love with that idea - it will be gorgeous, and thus fit the idea of Sauron as 'refined' but headed off the deep end into evil mad scientist.

Silk is great for ombre dying, so we could do something like this with it:
http://padawansguide.com/flame_makingof.shtml

certainly... I wonder if Morgoth's Umaiar also have restrooms and fancy living rooms... What does the Balrog's leisure room looks like?

Back