Valinor in general

Yeah, we're talking about a maximum of a few hundred Maiar with them, so we need to have places of residence for each of the Valar, with enough space for their "folk".

Lilith is a novel by George MacDonald that takes place in a fantastic realm. I'll look up the description of Mara's house when I get home, but if I recall it was a simple cottage.

Yeah I was imagining a simple cottage as well! The only problem is the thing with the walls of the world etc.

I just found this beautiful picture of Valimar, on a Vietnamese page entitled J.J.R. Tolkien Legendarium Wiki. Unfortunately without artist attribution. Picture of Tirion is by Ted Naismith.

image.jpg image.jpg

This is a photo suggesting Nienna's mansions "that look out from the walls of the world", but I don't have an attribution saying that's what this is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 11
I kind of also would like the Walls of Night to be an actual wall rather than a drop off as depicted there. Like, her house is maybe hemispherical and then up against the them, as in the Walls of Night are actually incorporated into her house; she can touch them in her living room! It'd be kind of neat if, rather than the sea spilling out into nothing, the dark waters of the Outer sea are spilling INTO Arda, like from under her house... So maybe it's at the top of a smallish tableau and these dark waters come cascading down into a lake that drains off via a river that then goes off towards Valmar.

They are "walls" with a "door".

Beyond that, who knows.

Edit: the old depictions of Arda as a boat (with Taniquetil as the mast). Would tend to suggest that the seas are contained, rather than spilling out into nothingness, though. But that was an old idea abandoned long, long before the Hobbit was ever written.

They are "walls" with a "door".

Beyond that, who knows.

Edit: the old depictions of Arda as a boat (with Taniquetil as the mast). Would tend to suggest that the seas are contained, rather than spilling out into nothingness, though. But that was an old idea abandoned long, long before the Hobbit was ever written.
Yes I think that the waterfall effect looks good but we should probably avoid that.

Back