Voice of Ilúvatar

Alex Long

Ralph Fiennes (Pronounced as Rayf Fines)- IMDB Page

65363_1.jpg

Now I know what you're thinking. That Ralph Fiennes? Schindler's List Ralph Fiennes? HE-WHO-MUST-NOT-BE-NAMED Ralph Fiennes?!

Yes. That Ralph Fiennes.

I know that one of the qualities for the 'Voice of Illuvatar' was for a 'James Earl Jones type' voice, but I've strayed from that point for a reason. Ilúvatar means "Father of All". This correlated to Elves and Men being known as The Children of Ilúvatar and clearly ties the fictional deity to the Judeo-Christian God of the Bible.

My idea for the role is influenced by the portrayal of God in The Prince of Egypt (1998) where the voice of God was not grandiose, but instead controlled and fatherly. Subtle effects and sound design are used in The Prince of Egypt to separate and supernatural-ify God's voice with amazing effectiveness. And yet a more natural register allowed for an emotional range that wasn't overdramatic. God becomes angry at Moses, but doesn't sound like villainous. When He is gentle, His voice doesn't sounds weak or passive. God sounds like a firm but caring dad, and He should. This will be VERY important during the 'Aule and the Dwarves' episode.

The Burning Bush scene from The Prince of Egypt- www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ds9y3lJGig

But why the Ralph Fiennes?!
-First and foremost, he sounds the part. I mean, the man is voicing Alfred Pennyworth in the upcoming LEGO Batman movie. For not being Batman's father, Alfred is pretty dad-ish.
-Secondly, the man's got acting chops with a career spanning 25 years. And, yes, he has played good guys before. His current run as 'M' in the James Bond franchise is wonderful (even if the new movie isn't.)
-Thirdly, I'm a sucker for casting against type. And for anyone who can't look at Ralph Fiennes without seeing the Dark Lord or one of the other famous baddies he's played- well guess what- you don't have to look at him! He's a voice! Problem solved.

EDIT: WAS CHOSEN; OK BY EXECS

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a suggestion: Lionel Fanthorpe.
Who?

Lionel Fanthorpe was born in England and has worked as a journalist and teacher. He is currently Director of Media Studies at Cardiff Academy and is a fully ordained Anglican Priest working part-time and unpaid for the Church in Wales. Lionel is President of ASSAP (The Association for the Scientific Study of Anomalous Phenomena) and is also the President of BUFORA (the British UFO Research Association). He's now a popular TV and Radio presenter and celebrity guest on chat shows. Lionel is also the author of over 250 books.

George Noory over on Coast to Coast loves having him on and one of the reasons, aside from the subject matter, is his voice! English, priest/academic, with a voice you could listen to for hours. And people do when he's on C to C.

http://www.lionel-fanthorpe.com

Back