Wandering Companies

TThurston

When the three Hobbit's first encounter Gildor's party, Frodo explains to Sam that Elves "wander into [the Shire] in spring and autumn, out of their own lands beyond the Tower Hills." I wonder how he knows this; it seems to be a regular occurrence. It is different from the other movements of Elves and Dwarves reported in Chapter 2, "Elves, ... could now be seen passing westward through the woods in the evening, passing and not returning..." Also, "Frodo often met strange dwarves of far countries, seeing refuge in the West." Westward is the direction of those leaving or seeking refuge. But Gildor's party is travelling to the East.

Gildor tells Frodo, "for tonight we go to the woods on the hills above Woodhall." It sounds like those woods are merely a planned stop in travel that continues farther, presumably farther East. Gildor explains that they are "Exiles, and most of our kindred have long ago departed and we too are now only tarrying here a while ... But some of our kinfolk dwell still in peace in Rivendell." I suppose that Rivendell could be the ultimate destination of Gildor's party, but that sounds like a journey, not wandering.

After the hobbits join the Elves, it sounds like they are all afoot, without ponies, horses, carts, or any means to carry extensive supplies or provisions. "They marched on again in silence ... for Elves (even more than hobbits) could walk when the wished without sound or footfall." Yet when they come to Woodhall, there is a feast, with cups, drink, and food heaped on plates and dishes, with bread (seemingly freshly baked), and fruits sweet as wildberries, and apples that impressed Sam. Where did all this come from? Was it carried by the Elves as they traveled afoot, or stored at Woodhall, or supplied in some other way?

Before parting from Frodo, Gildor says "we will send our messages through the lands. The Wandering Companies shall know of your journey, and those that have power for good shall be on the watch. I name you Elf-friend..." It sounds like these other Wandering Companies are also Elves.

These Wandering Elf-Companies interest me.

Last edited:
Back