Way back in episode 59

bmpeterson

I started the podcast about a month ago and have really enjoyed it. I apologize if this has already been discussed on here, I am hope to catch up on the podcasts, but not ready to undertake trying to read all the discussions here. One of my favorite chapters in the book is Strider and so I was really excited to get to this point in the podcast. One thing that was discussed was Strider's lack of a primary weapon since he is carrying the shards of Narsil. I have a suggestion.

Aragorn tells Frodo that when he last spoke to Gandalf, things were going well and that Frodo had plans to leave at the end of September with the ring. Aragorn then said he went on a journey of his own. My theory is that Aragorn's journey was to go get the shards of Narsil.

Gandalf had told him that Frodo would be leaving the Shire so Aragorn knew that the ring would be revealed. He also knew of the prophecy that the sword would be reforged when the ring was found. Now is his appointed time. Believing that Frodo would be safe with Gandalf, Aragorn set off to get the shards so that when they arrive in Rivendell it can be reforged.

Unfortunately, when he returns, Gandalf is missing and the Black Riders are about. He didn't intend to be without a sword in the middle of such danger, but he will have to make do the best he can and get the Hobbits to Rivendell as best he can.

I don't expect that there is anything in the text to prove this, but do we have anything that would tell us that this isn't possible?

Maybe i'm having a film-flashback, but I thought the shards were stored in Rivendell in the "when the king returns" box.

PS - Welcome! I just finished catching up so I know all about posting about ancient episodes.

Hi bmpeterson,

We don't have evidence that this is not possible. But we do have indication that it is not likely. In Appendix B, it says that after the downfall of the North Kingdom, and King Arvedui was drowned in the Bay of Forochel, Aranarth took the title of Chieftain of the Dunedain, and, "The heirlooms of Arnor were given into the keeping of Elrond".

So, I guess that if Aragorn were not carrying Narsil, it would be stored in Rivendell. I'm not sure if Aragorn would have gone to Rivendell to collect the sword, when he knows that Frodo, with Sam, presumably Gandalf, and possibly himself were about to head off to Rivendell.

Of course, it is still possible. The sword might have been somewhere else (though I don't think so), and Strider also had time to get to Rivendell and back to Bree, as it was about three months between when he last saw Gandalf, and when he met the Hobbits in Bree. But would he have gone all the way to Rivendell and back, when he guessed he would be going to Rivendell with the Hobbits anyway?

He would almost have to. As he pointed out to Sam, a sword broken slightly above the hilt is fairly useless for a serious fight. Never mind Nazgul, there are Orcs, trolls, and wolves aplenty in the wilds, not to mention a smattering of hostile men and possible a random cranky dwarf here or there. I would think going out in the wild without some kind of halfway decent sword would not be conducive to a long and healthy life.

I think the main sources of confusion on this matter are:

1. We never get any other weapon for Strider mentioned or described, other than flaming brands (dual-wielded, no less)

2. The only combat we see between meeting Strider and the reforging of Narsil is with the Nazgûl where flaming brands are considered to be more effective than any blade.

This can invite the inference that Strider carries only the shards of Narsil, but I don't believe it is the only conclusion that can be drawn.
In the Prancing Pony he showed the Hobbits the scabbard that contained the shards and drew out the hilt shard, but he could have been wearing another scabbard on his other hip holding another sword, a seax, or a long dagger. It might make his movement somewhat awkward, but I don't see anything in the text that directly counters the idea.

Hi bmpeterson,

We don't have evidence that this is not possible. But we do have indication that it is not likely. In Appendix B, it says that after the downfall of the North Kingdom, and King Arvedui was drowned in the Bay of Forochel, Aranarth took the title of Chieftain of the Dunedain, and, "The heirlooms of Arnor were given into the keeping of Elrond".

So, I guess that if Aragorn were not carrying Narsil, it would be stored in Rivendell. I'm not sure if Aragorn would have gone to Rivendell to collect the sword, when he knows that Frodo, with Sam, presumably Gandalf, and possibly himself were about to head off to Rivendell.

Of course, it is still possible. The sword might have been somewhere else (though I don't think so), and Strider also had time to get to Rivendell and back to Bree, as it was about three months between when he last saw Gandalf, and when he met the Hobbits in Bree. But would he have gone all the way to Rivendell and back, when he guessed he would be going to Rivendell with the Hobbits anyway?

This makes sense. The only way my suggestion made sense was if the sword was stored somewhere other than Rivendell, but Appendix B makes that unlikely.

Thank you!

Back