Weapon & Armor systems; Tactical Styles in Middle Earth

What aspect of this duel do you like for The Fall of Gondolin? I get that it is two men fighting over a woman, apparently, but the actual swordplay seems very slow, and definitely focused on attacking the swords, rather than at aiming killing blows on the opponent. I mean, to be fair, a lot of TV sword fights look like that. But I feel that more recently, that has been somewhat corrected?

(Secret of NIMH can get away with more, being animated, and showing rats, who do not have to move like humans.)

What aspect of this duel do you like for The Fall of Gondolin? I get that it is two men fighting over a woman, apparently, but the actual swordplay seems very slow, and definitely focused on attacking the swords, rather than at aiming killing blows on the opponent. I mean, to be fair, a lot of TV sword fights look like that. But I feel that more recently, that has been somewhat corrected?

(Secret of NIMH can get away with more, being animated, and showing rats, who do not have to move like humans.)
I guess it's the concept of two men fighting on battlements over a woman, and it's a long fight; it wouldn't feel right in my mind if the final confrontation between Tuor and Maeglin came down to a metaphorical quickdraw; it wouldn't make Maeglin look like much of a challenge and Elves are supposed to be stronger than Men. Most of the time when fighting on battlements are shown in media, they tend to be short engagements where there isn't much more than a swing and one is dead, say if you've ever seen the film Ironclad with James Purefoy and Paul Giamatti for example (in one case there's a single swing and three men are dead).

Mind for gore.

Last edited:
Back