Weathertop and Aragorn's "Firebrands"

Just finished Ep 76, so I'm still behind -- though far less behind now!

Frodo, just before fading out, seems to see Aragorn wielding two firebrands, "a flaming brand of wood in either hand." What if one of those was actually Narsil? Frodo sees his own sword as a firebrand "flickering red."

I'm just trying to work out Aragorn's likely path of resistance. His sword is broken, but it is after all the *same sword* that sliced the fingers off the Dark Lord himself, including the Ring of Power. One would imagine that something like that would still have an effect on Ring-Wraiths, and one would also imagine that Aragorn would know this.

When I re-enact the scene in my head, it just makes more sense that Aragorn is wielding broken Narsil and a firebrand than two firebrands.

It’s plausible, though depending on where in the blade the sword broke it might be rather short, and I suspect even heroic Aragorn doesn’t want to get any closer to the Nazgûl than is absolutely necessary. Also, with two firebrands he could do one of those awesome Polynesian fire-twirling dances!

This is a repeat of my reply to a similar post last November:

An interesting piece of word-nerdery for Aragorn's weapon choice on Weathertop, and the coming actions of Glorfindel, Strider and hobbits at the river (from an online dictionary): "Old English brand, brond "fire, flame; firebrand, piece of burning wood, torch," and (poetic) "sword," from Proto-Germanic *brandaz (cf. Old Norse brandr , Old High German brant , Old Frisian brond "firebrand, blade of a sword," German brand "fire"), from root *bran-/*bren- (see burn (v.)). Meaning "identifying mark made by a hot iron" (1550s) broadened by 1827 to "a particular make of goods." (my highlights) So it would seem that when Narsil was reforged, it received a new 'brand name' - Anduril, flame of the west. Aragorn continues to carry a brand into battle.

This is a repeat of my reply to a similar post last November:
I see that post now, and I love your response. The deep and ancient interplay between flame & blade in the English tradition is a beautiful thing, that I did not know about until this moment! For my part, the picture I have in my head now of Aragorn wielding a flaming stick and a broken sword, to defend against enemies that he knows all too well & closely, is a singular act of bravery.

Back