Welcome, Elven Lore-masters!

Mae govannen! In this sub-forum, we are all about the content that will be uploaded to the ExLOTR Legacy Project website.

Firstly, Tony Meade’s episode summaries will form a large basis for our content work, so if you are unfamiliar with his excellent work, please head back to the main ExLOTR forum and have a look through his Episode Summaries subforum.

We are currently planning to make a wiki-style website with articles for each individual episode (each one based on Tony’s summary for that episode), as well as articles for each theme, discussion point, or main idea we have come across that features in more than one episode.

This means that we, as the content curators (or Elven Lore-masters as I like to think of us), need to brainstorm and identify each of the themes, discussion points, and main ideas we want to turn into a wiki article. We then need to collect the data on each of these themes from each episode they are featured in, and consolidate it in one article that can be uploaded to the wiki when the website has been forged by our tech team (the Dwarven Smiths).

To me, this seems to be the first step to getting content ready for the wiki, but I have a few other ideas that may also be helpful in preparing the content for the web:
  • Adding video timecodes to Tony’s summaries, so that people can refer back to the recordings if they want to listen to the original discussion
  • Summarising the episodes (and eventually the themes) down further for new participants to catch up, and for current participants to refresh their memories
  • Audio and video editing to create highlight reels of specific themes, chapter summary episodes, small segments of video to embed on each episode page, etc.
  • Digital Tolkien Project integration and use of LR Citation system
  • Integrating discussion from the forums into the articles for each episode and each theme

Please use this sub-forum to discuss the content side of this project to your heart’s content. If you have any additional suggestions please add a comment below, or start a new thread. If you want to volunteer to do a specific task, please let us know in this sub-forum so that we don’t end up doing the same work twice.

Looking forward to working with you all!
Cheers, Jenni.

I would be interested in trying to organize the thoughts and discussions from the forums. It seems obvious to try to connect the forums to the class sessions they are referring to (these are not always close by date). It might be possible to categorize forum posts as: questions; observations; interpretations; speculations; (though some posts could encompass several of these categories). There are also questions as to how much to summarize posts, how to link, etc. etc.

If anyone has thoughts on how to organize a method to make the forum posts more findable, searchable, summarizable, and useful, please chip in.

I would love to troll through the Vid. Saga to find all the CFP references. (Carrie.Gross alt ego here)

I would love to focus on the discussions related to Tolkien’s grammar and word choices. There have been many a discussion over specific grammatical and word choices that Tolkien used that spans several episodes of ExLOTR. So, I think it would be important to organize the different discussions by topic, when the topic was mentioned (episodes, time stamps, etc.), and discussions in the forums related to that topic (I’m sure I’m forgetting something).

I would also like to offer my editing experience to anyone who would like it. If there is a preference to grammatical/language/style consistency across the wiki, I could help to create some sort of master list. If anyone has any ideas, I am open to discussions!

I'm also kind of into editing, Lashley, although not professionally. So I'd love to see/help you with your consistency guide. I also would be into organization. I was a librarian for over 40 years before retiring a few years ago, and so have had experience with indexing, etc. One thing that your post suggested to me was to keep track of the "questions" that Corey says we need to re-visit when different scenes come up in the course of the podcast. This would not only be interesting for a casual fan, but would help the regulars (and Corey) remember when a topic/word choice/reference comes up again.

I was thinking that the first order of business for organizing might be to develop a listing of categories, ideas that will eventually make it into the themes/subjects/topics sections of the website. Once we have a pretty good list of categories (poetry, references to larger legendarium, music, language (can have sub-categories), characters (also will have sub-categories, etc. probably lots more) we can start going through the summaries and marking them up with tags for the categories. What do you think?

I would be interested in trying to organize the thoughts and discussions from the forums. It seems obvious to try to connect the forums to the class sessions they are referring to (these are not always close by date). It might be possible to categorize forum posts as: questions; observations; interpretations; speculations; (though some posts could encompass several of these categories). There are also questions as to how much to summarize posts, how to link, etc. etc.
[/QUOTE]

I think one of the main things that we should include in summaries of the forums is that different points of view in a thread, and how/whether a concensus was reached. I guess that comes later, but tying discussions to class sessions should include areas of disagreement/alternative interpretations.

I was thinking that the first order of business for organizing might be to develop a listing of categories, ideas that will eventually make it into the themes/subjects/topics sections of the website. Once we have a pretty good list of categories (poetry, references to larger legendarium, music, language (can have sub-categories), characters (also will have sub-categories, etc. probably lots more) we can start going through the summaries and marking them up with tags for the categories. What do you think?
We could start another thread that is specifically potential topics. After we’ve exhausted our ideas, we can prioritize what needs to be done first.

I wonder if it would be useful to map out the field trips. There's an amazing "Google" map of LotRO here: LotRO Google Map (lotromap.net) I don't have the savvy to figure out how to do it, but if someone wrote a procedure for it, it would be a good volunteer project.
I think it would be great to include the field trips as a separate section of the website, I thoroughly enjoy them! We could include some screenshots from the game (from someone with ultra-high graphics! Can't miss any tapestry details), and also video excerpts from each session. A map of the field trip locations would be a great resource.

I've never tried tagging my posts (and I'm not anywhere near the most prolific contributor), but I'd be willing to go through my posts and add some hashtags. Here's the first one: #organizationideas

Back