Weregild

Ranveigh

We have already established that it was not appropriate for Isildur to claim the ring as weregild, but I am curious if that concept would be applicable in a battle situation in any case. Is it not expected that people will sometimes die in battle? Why would there be compensation for it? I have always assumed that weregild was something settled between individuals or families.

We have already established that it was not appropriate for Isildur to claim the ring as weregild, but I am curious if that concept would be applicable in a battle situation in any case. Is it not expected that people will sometimes die in battle? Why would there be compensation for it? I have always assumed that weregild was something settled between individuals or families.
Well in the site's Silmarillion film project, we have Dís demanding a weregild from Gandalf because she blames him for getting Thorin, Fili and Kili killed.

Well in the site's Silmarillion film project, we have Dís demanding a weregild from Gandalf because she blames him for getting Thorin, Fili and Kili killed.

Though there, it sounds like she's holding the person who led them responsible, not the orc(s) who actually slew them.

Would a weregild be expected from a battle or from more of a murder/ duel or accident? Would people really be expected to pay a weregild for every noble who fell in battle?

It certainly makes for a convenient claim when looting the corpse.

More seriously, it is not uncommon for victors in battles to claim spoils: as aggressors they'll call them spoils, but when a 'defender' is victorious it is claimed as reparations to cover the cost of having to defend themselves. A modern example is the Allies after World War I, driving the Weimar Republic economy into hyperinflation.

That seems appropriate for dwarves. I think Turin told Mim that he owed him a weregild for the death of his son by one of his company.

Back