What'cha reading?

Sparrow

Hestia of the Hearth
It's killing me waiting for the next Magnus Chase book, folks - what are you reading? What do you recommend?

If you haven't read it, Lord Dunsany's "The The King of Elfland's Daughter" is a book I often recommend. After reading it my only regret was that I hadn't read it earlier.

Mostly reading for the Tolkien's War class I'll be taking. Lots of reading, almost but not quite "read everything Tolkien ever wrote".

I mostly read short stories now (Analog, Asimov's and Magazine of Fantasy & SF), I don't usually have the time/attention for anything longer, but I did pick up the first novel in the Expanse series. Political thriller, a bit formulaic but well done. I will definitely pick up the rest.

Hey, NotACat!
Would you recommend the whole series? Action? Fantasy?
It's JK Rowling's detective fiction that she initially wrote under a pseudonym (and apparently was picked up for TV at that point) before being outed—somewhat controversially—by "a friend of the wife of a lawyer at [a firm of solicitors], who had worked for Rowling" who tweeted the information to a newspaper reporter and landed her legal friends in a pickle :eek:

I've enjoyed the books so far and I like the look of the TV adaptation, so I think I could happily recommend it :cool:

I'm on audiobooks during my commute (because my podcast feed is very, very messy. I must hand a bribe to Tech Support sometime when they're home), and to my surprise I liked "Into the Storm" (WWII naval vessel gets whooshed into parallel world) well enough to download the second one.

Thanks, NH public library system!

If you haven't read it, Lord Dunsany's "The The King of Elfland's Daughter" is a book I often recommend. After reading it my only regret was that I hadn't read it earlier.

And here it is for those of you in Canada! http://fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20120938
and here it is on library search! http://www.worldcat.org/title/king-of-elflands-daughter/oclc/925350468?loc=

My goodness, there's a copy 4 miles away - and one at the university where Tech Support is!

Me I am reading some of Mark Lawrence books very violent in some placers but still very good. but truth be told im just filling time waiting fir the next stormlight book by brandon sanderdson to come out (come on November!!!!)

It's JK Rowling's detective fiction that she initially wrote under a pseudonym (and apparently was picked up for TV at that point) before being outed—somewhat controversially—by "a friend of the wife of a lawyer at [a firm of solicitors], who had worked for Rowling" who tweeted the information to a newspaper reporter and landed her legal friends in a pickle :eek:

I've enjoyed the books so far and I like the look of the TV adaptation, so I think I could happily recommend it :cool:

I second this recommendation. Rowling's always had a knack for mystery and these novels are clever and interesting, though also at times quite chilling. The audiobooks are great, too.

For academics, not leisure, but I just finished "A Secret Vice" - Tolkien - the Fimi and Higgins edition - whoa, cool and excellent stuff!

I'm reading Philip Pullman, The Book of Dust -- anyone else? So far I am enjoying it.

I made it through volumes 1 and 2 of his "Dark Materials" trilogy, then got very bummed out -- I will go back to vol. 3 eventually.

(and I really enjoy Rick Riordan, always waiting for the next one...)

I'm re-reading Peter V. Brett's Demon Cycle. Currently, I'm on book 4 in preparation for the newly released book 5.

The series is set in a world where demons rise nightly and terrorize the remnants of humanity, who have learned to use wards to protect themselves while they wait for the fabled savior, called The Deliverer, to end the plague.

Few people brave the naked night, but Messengers roam the roads, protected by portable ward circles. They bring with them news & letters...and often a jongleur, a sort of combination of clown and bard.

Young Arlen Bales chafes against the life, wondering why people don't fight back. Then his mother is killed by a demon.

The world building is pretty excellent, and the characters are richly drawn. However, it is an adult book - with strong language, frank sexuality, and a lot of brutality.

After Robert Jordan died before completing The Wheel of Time, and finding that George R.R. Martin seems to be uninterested in completing A Song of Ice and Fire, I vowed I'd never start another series by a living author. Fortunately for me, I didn't know The Warded Man was meant to be the start of a new series. The good news is that Peter Brett does seem to be committed to continuing the series, although I have no idea what his plans for the series are.

Sounds good! I mean - sounds a lot darker than I like my own books, but anything that makes you happy to have read them and eager for the next one is good!

Just finished H2G2 in prep for the next Mythgard Academy class. First read. Looking forward to the discussion.

I'm also preparing for the class, and looking forward to discussing it! It's been a while since I've read it, so it'll be good to re-read it with the Professor and everyone else participating!

Back