What'cha reading?

Since finding the Exploring series, I've started a LoTR reread; I was due for one anyway as its been a couple years. And while my reread is far outpacing the class series, Corey's oh so close reading of the text and attention to detail has really made me consider things in ways that I never had before.

I'm also reading A Brightness Long Ago by Guy Kay. What a magnificent book; in fact I think everything he has published is beautiful.

Just finishing up reading A Wizard of Earthsea for the upcoming Mythgard class. Am I missing something, or does Le Guin not really use humor in telling the story?

Am I missing something, or does Le Guin not really use humor in telling the story?
You're right that there's not much humor; it's a pretty dark story overall. But at least the scene shortly before Ged's Big Mistake, where everyone is just having fun with magic pranks is funny; Vetch is sitting up in the air shooting bread-crumb arrows at chicken-bone birds, and Ged, not having the trick of it, has to flap his arms to stay aloft beside him.

I can only think of twice that Ged laughs in the book: the other one is when he is a child and the witch puts a spell of silence on him, and he can't speak, but laughs. But I'm only halfway through my latest re-read.

Just started reading The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors by James D. Hornfischer. It's a non-fiction account of the USS Samuel B. Roberts and other small ships that fought in the Battle off Samar during WW2, and so far it seems to be a must-read for anyone interested in naval combat.

I'm actually listening to the audiobook of The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Along with that, I've been delving a bit into the history of England/UK. It's interesting to think of the world in which Tolkien wrote LOTR, and all the history that is there that isn't present in a place like here in America.

I also recently read Recursion and Dark Matter by Blake Crouch, and blew through them both. Best reads in years. I'm starting The Pines next.

I'm re-reading LotR after many years. I started Fellowship on September 3 and was hoping to finish before @Corey Olsen & ExLOTR left Rivendell, but I got distracted and missed a few nights of reading. I imagine they hadn't left as of last night, but it's getting close, I need to get reading if they haven't!

I just finished Inland by Tea O'breht. I really enjoyed the journey and the visual language but the ending felt unsatisfying. I don't mind an open ended conclusion by any means but I just was left a little emptier than her previous novel, The Tiger's Wife which is one of my favourites. I really do think she's one of my top five authors though, having only written those two books and a handful of short stories. Think I'll be getting back on my Stephen King binge soon though

I'm waiting for HoMe 5 to come in from an interlibrary loan, so I can read The Lost Road, and the 1937 Quenta. I read Notion Club Papers recently, so I want to see what the earlier Second Age stories were like (little nuggets like the story involving Firiel, for instance...).

But currently reading Jane Eyre aloud to the Mrs; Jane is just about to meet Mr Rochester for the first time. The opening chapters were a lot darker than I remembered, that's for sure. And just starting on The Hobbit with our nearly 3yo girl (.

I'm re-reading LotR after many years. I started Fellowship on September 3 and was hoping to finish before @Corey Olsen & ExLOTR left Rivendell, but I got distracted and missed a few nights of reading. I imagine they hadn't left as of last night, but it's getting close, I need to get reading if they haven't!

Even now, we have a poem to get through before they actually depart, so I think you should be fairly safe.

I'm currently reading a book called Misreading Scripture with Western Eyes. It's about how we bring a lot of cultural assumptions to the text, some of which may not fit with the cultural assumptions of the authors. It's something good to think about both when reading Scripture and when reading any other text written in another cultural context.

Finally got NoMe.

But having a first read of Lost Road+etc now (I read Notion Club Papers + DA earlier in the year).

currently reading Rhythm of War (book 4 of Stormlight Archive) and it's wild... I do recommend them, but it's an investment. They are each doorstops. For reference, each audiobook is 45, 48, 55 and 57 hours so far, LotR, total, is 54 hours.

Currently reading Piranesi by Susanna Clarke. I'm about halfway through so far, and really enjoying it!

Isaac Asimov - the End of eternity

i also have a nonfiction book, a collection of essays by various authors on the authoritarian personality
And a science book on hypnosis...

Just started reading Don Quixote! Maybe it's just the way the narrator reads it, but I am loving the sense of humor in it so far!

@Jessi Robinson not well, she kept getting distracted by Jemima Catlin's illustrations and wanting to look at them after I'd turned the page! But she has asked to be told verbally bits of the story (and also LotR—she saw the early bits of Jackson's Fellowship at my mum's, the light stuff in the shire).

I'm working through Tolkien's Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, currently in Canto III.
Reading LotR alound again to the Mrs, up to The Ring Goes South (catching up to ExLotR!)
Have also started Ishiguro's Klara and the Sun.

Back