When are we told Aragorn is decendent from Earendil?

MERP_Gamemaster

Hi all, been following discussions offline for quite a while. First time posting.

In episode 124, when discussing Aragorn, Arwen and Elrond in the Hall of Fire as Frodo is leaving, Corey says that (approximate quote, it is just after the 44 min mark):

"It has not been explicitly said that Elrond is Earendils son, but we do know for sure that Aragorn is descendent from Earendil."

The "for sure" sounds pretty emphatic.

I don't remember this though.. When are we told that Aragorn is descendent from Earendil? Anyone know? Thought I'd check with the general audience before taking it to the Questions for Narnion.

We're told that Aragorn is descended from Elendil during the Council of Elrond, but I'm not sure whether we're ever told within LotR that Elendil is himself descended from Eärendil: maybe in the Appendices but not by this stage in the text.

We are told, by Strider just after his abbreviated tale of Beren and Lúthien:
And of Eärendil came the Kings of Númenor, that is Westernesse.
but Elendil wasn't a King of Númenor himself: he wasn't a King at all until after the Downfall.

Hi all, been following discussions offline for quite a while. First time posting.

In episode 124, when discussing Aragorn, Arwen and Elrond in the Hall of Fire as Frodo is leaving, Corey says that (approximate quote, it is just after the 44 min mark):

"It has not been explicitly said that Elrond is Earendils son, but we do know for sure that Aragorn is descendent from Earendil."

The "for sure" sounds pretty emphatic.

I don't remember this though.. When are we told that Aragorn is descendent from Earendil? Anyone know? Thought I'd check with the general audience before taking it to the Questions for Narnion.

It has not been explicitly said that Elrond is Earendil's son, but we have got pretty close.

Aragorn, on Weathertop, says, "There live there still those of whom Luthien was the foremother, and it is said that her line shall never fail. Elrond of Rivendell is of that Kin. For of Beren and Luthien was born Dior Thingol's heir; and of him Elwing the White whom Earendil wedded." At this point we know that Elrond is 'of Luthien's Kin' and presumably descended from Earendil, and might be the next in the genealogy, and thus Earendil's son.

Bilbo also reports to Frodo that Aragorn said, "If I had the cheek to make verses about Earendil in the house of Elrond, it was my affair". Which again might lead us to speculate that the relationship between Elrond and Earendil was quite close, possibly father and son.

We get confirmation from Elrond, early in the Council of Elrond, that he is indeed Earendil's son. "My memory reaches back even to the Elder Days. Earendil was my sire, who was born in Gondolin before its fall; and my mother was Elwing, daughter of Dior, son of Luthien of Doriath." Corey is correct that when Frodo leaves the Hall of Fire, we do not know explicitly that Elrond is Earendil's son. However, we have had some good clues, and it will be confirmed early in the next chapter.

As to why Corey thinks that 'we know for sure' that Aragorn is descended from Earendil, I don't have a clue. I cannot find any evidence beyond the vaguest hints that Aragorn is descended from Earendil. Sure, we know that from Earendil 'came the Kings of Numenor'. When Pippin asks Strider, "Where did you learn such tales?" about the wars with Angmar, Strider says, "The heirs of Elendil do not forget all things past", which can certainly be read as Strider claiming to be an heir of Elendil (together with the cryptic 'all that is gold does not glitter' poem). However, Elendil's being an 'heir' of Earendil is not clear. Of course, statistically, everyone of Numenorean descent, after more than 6,000 years is likely to be a descendant of Earendil, but I don't think we get much clearer than that?

Last edited:
We're told that Aragorn is descended from Elendil during the Council of Elrond, but I'm not sure whether we're ever told within LotR that Elendil is himself descended from Eärendil: maybe in the Appendices but not by this stage in the text.

We are told, by Strider just after his abbreviated tale of Beren and Lúthien:
but Elendil wasn't a King of Númenor himself: he wasn't a King at all until after the Downfall.

We need to refer to Unfinished Tales for the evidence that Elendil’s line, and therefore Aragorn, is descended from Eärendil. Here we learn that Elendil’s father was the last of the Lords of Andúnië, with this line descending from Valandil, son of Silmariën who would have been the first ruling queen of Númenor if they had practiced absolute primogeniture at the time of Tar-Elendil’s death.

Thanks Florian.

I didn't have access to my printed copies as I was travelling, and the e-text version I use doesn't have the Appendices (unfortunately).

Back