Why is Aragorn's opinion given so much weight for the composition of the Fellowship?

Do we have any reason to believe a court-martial is even on the table for a son of a steward?

Also, wasn't this topic originally about Aragorn or something? Why are we discussing Faramir-focused, alternate-universe fanfiction?
The topic strayed from the original as topics trend to do in a discussion. And why are we still discussing it? Because we love discussing Tolkien and discover the manifold layers of the text. If Denethor spies on his own son and not on Mordor then he is as crazy already to have been removed from office as unfit for it long ago.

Last edited:
"It is I that has failed. Vain was Gandalf's trust in me," was he thinking only of recent events? Or, did he perhaps think back, and wonder if his decision to join the Company (and, especially, to bring Boromir along with him), had been a mistake?
He may be thinking back to the debates with Gandalf before they tried the Moria route. We know that he warned Gandalf of danger - danger to him, personally - if they took that route. I can easily see Gandalf reassuring Aragorn that he was perfectly fit to lead the company in his own absence, should the worst happen. And now he feels he has failed, because the Company is broken.

It's also possible that he might be thinking specifically about the inclusion of Boromir in the Company, if that was on his advice.

But it is a completely new thought for me that he might be thinking about his decision to join the Company himself.

Aragorn and Boromir were the only available representatives of Men. Aragorn planned to go to Minas Tirith with Boromir anyway. And can you imagine what would have happened if Gandalf had gone down on the Bridge of Khazad-dum and Aragorn hadn't been there?

I think Aragorn is reacting to Boromir's death, and his own failure to get there in time - and perhaps his whole climb to Amon Hen, since he knows that Frodo came down already. It's also his reaction to Gandalf's death. I strongly doubt his regret is for any particular decision about who was in the Fellowship.

Back