Word logging

ruth barratt

Hello all, Due to lock down I have finally had time to do an insane project that I have wanted to do for ages. A spreadsheet of words that we may want to track in The Lord of the Rings. I have not finished it yet (as you can imagine it will take some time) but this is so far and I will be updating it. this is for all to use for whatever they need it for. if you have any thoughts or suggestions let me know and I'll see what I can do. Enjoy :)

Timdalf

A heroic undertaking... And anywhere near a comprehensive concordance would be beyond the strength of a single person to accomplsh. But one word that has leaped out at me, and seems to be unusually important (partly because he uses it so often) is "sudden/suddenly". Sudden is used 527 times. Suddenly is used 429 times. That's is 956 times together in a book that is only (!) about 1030 pages. In other words the equivalent of once on almost every page, on average. Unexpected(ly) are used only 23 times. And I suspect most of these times sudden(ly) does not mean just "hasty", "quick", "rapid" or even"abrupt:... it means "unexpected"... What does this tell us about Middle-earth and those in it?... Until a full listing is made of it, we are not able to draw any firm conclusions. There may be other frequent usages that I have not noticed....

ruth barratt

I'm just finishing up the compass points as cap v non-cap at the min but I may have a look-see at them next and see what I can do. Thank you, my good wizard, for the recommendation

ruth barratt

Hello My wonderful forums friend, I am in need of help. In column G I am wanting to add the meaning of the Sudden/suddenly word in response to Timdalf's request but for this, I need some help to decide what the are: is it speed, unexpected, and so on.
Any help would be amazing so that I can keep logging new words.