New profile posts

Is Goldberry the daughter of Ossë and Uinen?
Reactions: Kathrin
MithLuin
MithLuin
I agree that Tolkien was not careful to connect the nature spirits (Tom Bombadil, Goldberry, even Caradhras, after a fashion) with actual Maiar. He wanted them to remain somewhat mysterious and not fit neatly into the taxonomy. But you can use Maiar, broadly defined, to cover any sentient being of that 'order' created by Iluvatar.
MithLuin
MithLuin
Is Ungoliant one of the Ainur? Are Tom and Goldberry Maiar or Maiar-adjacent beings? These questions aren't really answered.

So likewise, who is the River-woman, and what does it mean for her to have a daughter? Who can say? Perhaps Goldberry is her follower/acolyte, and thus is called a daughter metaphorically.
Haakon
Haakon
Yeah that’s more or less my view.
Visited the Tolkien expo yesterday. The tapestries of the paintings, breathtaking. One detail that got me thinking: Isengard kinda recalls Gondolin and I wonder if Saruman starts by idolising the Gondolindrim and descends from there. Sadly there aren't *that many* of Tolkien's sketches, but I'd love to test the aspirational-building-theory further. Middle earth stories echo a lot and irl architecture does too.
K
Kathrin
there's a general trend with his sketches with stylistical elements repeating in interesting places, maybe sometime when I've nothing better to do :)p), I'll do a sort of genealogical tree of those relations.
Saw the "Do Frodo live"-thread in the forum. I'm suspecting if he do so, he is living at Compton Pauncefoot, near South Cadbury in Somerset, UK
So... What do you think about Tolkien’s later writings about the blue wizards?
Haakon
Haakon
Yeah I can see good aspects of both versions.
Halstein
Halstein
I like to think the Blue Wizards might at least have some success. Maybe having founded resistance-movement among the Easterlings and Haradrim.
Reactions: Haakon
Haakon
Haakon
Do you think they should arrive earlier than the others?
Happy New Year!

Also, I will not be present for tomorrow’s session, will be traveling.
MithLuin
MithLuin
Safe travels!
Ange1e4e5
Ange1e4e5
Got a spot to sit down. I admit I’m disappointed that we’re not discussing casting until the 30th.
MithLuin
MithLuin
I understand your disappointment, but unfortunately that was the only time that worked for everyone.

Keep in mind that some work goes into presenting the results, and it is by no means automatic.
If Aragorn knew the story of Turin, maybe it made him go to rescue Merry and Pippin. Not to repeat Turin's mistake?
MithLuin
MithLuin
Not a connection I've ever made before! But yes, he definitely goes after Merry and Pippin because he thinks it the right thing to do, and doesn't want to be lured away from that by 'the mission.' So no doubt cautionary tales stuck with him ;) I think there is no doubt that Aragorn knows Túrin's story.
amysrevenge
amysrevenge
This is good insight.
Doing "Unfinished Tales" this Yule-tide. Spent 1 Yule and 2 Yule on "Narn i Hin Hurin". Nienor is somewhat of an opposite of Signy of the Volsungsaga.
Thank you for voting! Voting is now closed! Results will be announced on Silmfilm podcast session. Please be patient while you wait for the results, it might feel like a very long time.