Riddles & Hobbits (at the Moria Door)

tkpiehl

In episode 293, you mention Merry asking specifically about the "Speak, friend, and enter". I don't think we should find it surprising that a Hobbit would have greater sensitivity /ability to identify a likely riddle in the door's text, compared to any of the other races. To be fair, nobody would be expected to know this besides Gandalf, but he still didn't listen. But I love JRRT highlighting this trait, as if highlighting "Leverage the strengths of EVERYONE in your troupe!" Thoughts?

"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must."

Elrond said this near the conclusion of the Council.

Is Merry's question, "What does it mean by speak, friend, and enter?" the first action since leaving Rivendell (rather veiled) that this might be true? Is Merry closer to figuring out the doors than Gandalf?

I think we are about to see the second (and more obvious) illustration of Elrond's conviction in a few paragraphs, when Sam is the only one to take action and fight when the Watcher in the Water attacks.

So far, since Rivendell, Gandalf, Aragorn, Boromir, (possibly Legolas), have been the ones to take critical actions to protect or advance the Company. The Hobbits have made no significant contributions. Is that now beginning to change?

Back