Recent content by Dom Nardi

1. Dom Nardi

Rereading Frank Herbert's Dune Saga...

Can you access this? https://docs.google.com/document/d/10APoakIeS2D2w5odVYqTXjdrxt7kBRnQA1j3ts347uk/edit?usp=sharing
  2. Dom Nardi

sorry for some reason the pdf didn't upload last time. See below.
  3. Dom Nardi

Trevor and I recently put out a CFP for papers on Dune. If anyone is potentially interested in submitting, please see the guidelines attached below or reach out to me.
  4. Dom Nardi

Hi Wes, for some reason I never saw this post. I presented the paper at Mythmoot V. It seemed pretty well received. The video of my presentation should be posted on Signum's Youtube channel soon. I'll put a link here when it is.
  5. Dom Nardi

Sparrow, I obviously like book 2, but I realize it's controversial. Here's what I'll say. Dune Messiah is a deconstruction of Dune and the heroic archetype. It's a book about palace intrigue on a fairly small scale. So, if you liked Dune because it was an epic adventure, you might not like Dune...
  6. Dom Nardi

Wes, Have you gotten a chance to read any of the other books? I'm starting the 5th one, Heretics of Dune. I'm not a fan of books 5 and 6, but I figured I might as well reread them while I'm on the Dune train.
  7. Dom Nardi

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree that the "The power to destroy a thing is the absolute control over it" quote is absolutely central to all of this. And with prescience, Paul can see into the future and thus know if his enemies are willing to destroy the spice (they aren't). It gives...
  8. Dom Nardi

Frank's son Brian did end up finishing the series, but I don't think he had the skill of the elder Herbert. Brian's Dune spinoff novels are more conventional space operas. I'm looking at how prescience determines political power, as well as how prescience gets around the predestination paradox...
  9. Dom Nardi

The Witcher

Hey, just seeing if there are any other fans of the Witcher series here, either the novels by Andrzej Sapkowski or the games by CD Projekt Red. There's also a Netflix TV series coming out soon. The books are quite interesting, but haven't gotten as much attention in the US in part because they...
  10. Dom Nardi

Most people end up not reading past the first book unfortunately. I know time is precious, but I definitely encourage you to try to finish the first three at least if you like the first book. For me, as much as I liked the first book, the story didn't feel complete until I read the second and...
  11. Dom Nardi

I'm about to embark upon a reread of Frank Herbert's Dune saga. I'm writing a paper about politics in Dune for Mythmoot V and plan on reading all 6 books (not Brian Herbert's spinoff books). Corey Olsen did a great course on the first Dune novel a few years ago, which is an invaluable resource...
  12. Dom Nardi

Politics in Silmarillion

Actually Corey suggested I think a bit more about this after our Tolkien Chat. There are some interesting issues with Elven politics especially. I might try to present some of my thinking in time for Midmoot this fall.
  13. Dom Nardi

Politics in Silmarillion

Good point about military. Seems like there will also just be basic questions about logistics. How large are these armies? Do they have primarily archers or cavalry or infantry? Even if we din't talk about those details on the show, audiences will see the armies, so we'll need to depict them...
  14. Dom Nardi

Politics in Silmarillion

I definitely agree with that assessment. But I'm actually starting to wonder if we shouldn't maybe change the government institutions up a bit for the sake of the drama. For example, it might make sense to give Turgon in Gondolin a council (like the Small Council in Game of Thrones) with a bunch...
  15. Dom Nardi

Politics in Silmarillion

I have a background in political science and have written a paper about politics in Lord of the Rings for the Mythlore journal. I was talking with Corey recently, and he suggested I start thinking about how we might incorporate politics into the story of the Silmarillion. In particular, I would...
Back