Recent content by exoskeletonkey

1. exoskeletonkey

Audiobook versions

Let us know what you think after you listen to it. I just couldn't enjoy it. I found the "radio exposition" really grating. How everyone is always saying things like "what is this i see before me? it's a..." and so on.
  2. exoskeletonkey

Welcome to the shadowed forest!

The Modern Scholar series seems to drop off sometime around 2014. Not sure why they stopped, but the guy behind the series went on to host a themed tour company that looks pretty cool. They use mostly TMS professors as guides. In fact, it looks like Shutt is doing a Dante tour this year (which...
  3. exoskeletonkey

Give Shutt a try, he is not dry at all! His lectures follow a sort of formula of historical/literary context followed by a memorable anecdote (kind of similar to Elizabeth Vandiver's fantastic Classical Greece courses). If you don't want to risk an Audible credit, it might be available through...
  4. exoskeletonkey

This is a fair point. One thing to consider is that these sessions are more of an unstructured read-along with someone as they think out-loud about what they are reading. If you want something a little more rehearsed and concise, I highly recommend Timothy Shutt's "Dante and His Divine Comedy"...
  5. exoskeletonkey

Audiobook versions

This has been my experience as well. I love the idea behind Librivox, but when the rubber hits the road, I don't usually end up listening to their versions. You can find most major works on something like Hoopla or Overdrive through your library for free, so I tend to stick to the professionals...
  6. exoskeletonkey

Audiobook versions

Very cool. Whenever I'm reading the classics I like to find at least a clip of someone reading in the original language. One of my personal favorites is Benjamin Bagby's Old English performance of Beowulf. He accompanies himself on an old anglo-saxon instrument, too. Wild stuff.
  7. exoskeletonkey

Audiobook versions

I will take a look at that. One issue with free versions is that the quality can be variable. One of the hardest parts of selecting audiobooks/ebooks when reading the classics is that without copyright restrictions, a lot of product of dubious quality gets produced...
  8. exoskeletonkey

Audiobook versions

I listened to the full Divine Comedy about a year ago and went with the 2013 "Audible Studios" release narrated by Edoardo Ballerini (Clive James translation). It was fine enough, but I'm curious if anyone has already given a listen to any other editions in audiobook format. At the time I wanted...
Back