Recent content by Geraden

1. Geraden

Exploring LOTR e-Book

I notice that instalments have paused - would it be possible for Corey to give an update?
  2. Geraden

'Were' and 'hair' - do they rhyme in Bilbo's poem?

My mother who lived in Birmingham all her life definitely preonouced 'were' like 'hair' . I think 'where' always retained its aspirate so it was not an exact homophone of 'were' though they were close rhymes. I had to school myself to stop pronouncing 'were' like 'hair'.
  3. Geraden

'Were' and 'hair' - do they rhyme in Bilbo's poem?

I was interested in the discussion of the sound values of the words 'were' and 'hair'. I agree that dialect and accent has a bearing in whether these two words are a rhyming pair. Corey finds it hard to make them rhyme in American English, and suspects that they rhyme better in British English...
  4. Geraden

Sam's Missing "Pickles" - missing last words from the Council of Elrond

The paragraph is present in my hardback copy - Second edition 1966, Fourth impression 1969.
  5. Geraden

Piranesi by Susanna Clarke

One of the best books I have read since LOTR! Extremely hard not to give spoilers, but here goes: "Piranesi", the protagonist / narrator / POV character is exceptionally well characterised. He is intelligent, resourceful, industrious, persistent; he is humble, empathetic, respectful, generous...
  6. Geraden

Looking back on Filippo Argenti

I am glad that I am not the only one that thinks this way! I am pretty sure that Aquinas teaches somewhere that our right reaction to the torments of the damned is to rejoice in God's justice. This is not an easy doctrine for us with our 21st century sensibilities. It is not the only possible...
  7. Geraden

Looking back on Filippo Argenti

I have been following your Inferno classes with interest – asynchronously because I am in Britain. I know this comes rather late, but I noted the difficulty Corey had in Canto VIII with Dante's supposedly 'unchristian' attitude to Filippo Argenti. In the story, the souls in hell are...
Back