Recent content by Gurthalda

1. G

Experiment in Method

Thanks for your great thoughts, guys! I’ve signed up to transcribe the rest of Ep1 and I’ll try making the topics easily comparable. Jonah, let’s work together on an episode soon. FirstFish, I see how duplicate transcripts are inevitable and sometimes even helpful. Thanks for the encouragement.
  2. G

Experiment in Method

SLIDE: VARIETIES OF QUEERNESS THE CONVERSATION AT THE IVY BUSH: This is the moment where the conversation really turns in, what I think is, a really fascinating way. Again remember we got the Gaffer like, “Ooh ooh ooh! Can I tell the story of Drogo and Primula Brandybuck being drowned?” And Old...
  3. G

Experiment in Method

HOBBIT HUMILITY BY INFORMALITY: There’s definitely a kind of humility it seems to Hobbit culture, that sort of not taking yourself so seriously. One of the other things that I think we can see about Hobbit culture, you can tell how non-violent in general it is. I remember Tom Shippey giving a...
  4. G

Experiment in Method

SLIDE: ENJOYING THEMSELVES THE HOBBITS’ LACK OF DIGNITY: Notice the tone of the whole thing…that is, the tone of the hobbit’s interactions with each other. Look at the two interactions that I quoted in this passage, “I hope you are all enjoying yourselves as much as I am.” “I shall not keep you...
  5. G

Experiment in Method

As I mentioned in my introductory post, I love speculation and interpretation as long as there’s supporting evidence. I wanted to share the results of a test run I did on Ep.1. I focused on transcribing passages where Corey either interprets or speculates, and then divided them by slides and...
  6. G

Call for Volunteers!

Greetings from Tennessee! I was introduced to Tolkien about 5 years ago and have since come across Ex-LotR. I’m currently in school for computer science, but ironically, I think the content side of things is the only place where I could have any meaningful contribution. I’m really interested in...
Back