Recent content by LyndonLeaves

1. LyndonLeaves

Wise groups

I submit the book "Wicked" as counter evidence. :)
  2. LyndonLeaves

What are the powers of the Ring?

What I'm understanding from these discussions is that most of us want to understand the effects of the Ring, even if we don't want to know how it achieves those effects. Our problem comes from trying to project what the effects are in cases that we haven't observed, which is most of them...
  3. LyndonLeaves

Wise groups

I can't and won't argue with that Rachel. It's a great point. And I didn't know that about the Brontes. Fascinating. Back to Wise Groups, I wonder if Gandalf's rejection of Saruman's offer made Saruman even more angry, because in his heart he had hoped that Gandalf would agree, and he could be...
  4. LyndonLeaves

What are the powers of the Ring?

Can I just say that I love it when you do this @Flammifer! Systematic Tolkienology. Thank you!
  5. LyndonLeaves

Wise groups

Although he told the stories to his children, and didn't his wife type them up? Here's a meta-thought. With Domination so associated with evil in LOTR, I find it interesting that Tolkien doesn't tell us what to think about these things, but gives us freedom to choose. Is JK Rowling a little...
  6. LyndonLeaves

Wise groups

I hear you E5C4P3! I've been chewing this over for a week. The only parallel to the One Ring that I can think of off hand are the other rings. Of these, the Wise would only have access to the Three Elven Rings, although maybe they tried to destroy a Dwarven Ring in the past? Perhaps there is...
  7. LyndonLeaves

Is there any evidence that Boromir’s suggestion to use the Ring as a weapon is influenced by the Ring?

That's fair. "Only volunteer" was too strong of an assertion. I shall update to: TBH I've always thought that both Bilbo and Frodo partly volunteer because of the opportunity to hold the ring a little longer.
  8. LyndonLeaves

Celebrimbor and the Making of the Rings

I'm going to agree selectively with the points above. 1. I agree with Rachel that the rings are discordant and so have to fail. 2. But along with Anthony, I struggle to understand why the three fail when the one is destroyed, given that Sauron never touched them. Knowledge doesn't cease just...
  9. LyndonLeaves

Wise groups

Thanks Kate. Very interesting reading. Applying that collectivism to LOTR it seems that on the surface the Shire embodies this idea that Barfield suggests of a mix of individualism and layered collectivism. Is Gondor in danger of over-collectivism? The Elves?
  10. LyndonLeaves

Is there any evidence that Boromir’s suggestion to use the Ring as a weapon is influenced by the Ring?

TBH I've always thought that both Bilbo and Frodo only volunteer because of the opportunity to hold the ring a little longer. I'm looking forward to hearing the class discussion on these moments.
  11. LyndonLeaves

Wise groups

Thanks Rachel. I had totally forgotten the conversation between Saruman and Frodo. I suspect the wise are wise enough to recognize the Wise and the Wise are wise enough to recognize their folly. I fully agree that Gandalf has been consulting with Elrond, Aragorn and others. (Back to the...
  12. LyndonLeaves

The Problem with Boromir's Argument

Welcome @HowthCE. Great comparison, and I don't think Paradise Lost has come up in the classes, though someone may have posted on it before I arrived. I remember reading Book 1 and 2 in school, and a few people in the class discussion thinking that Satan had a point. The lies make sense to us...
  13. LyndonLeaves

Where, oh where, is 111?

Isn't this it?
  14. LyndonLeaves

Wise groups

Hi all, I have some muddled thoughts about wisdom and the wise that I thought I'd jot down and maybe you could help me clarify. Be warned. This post has many more questions than answers. Something that comes up in class time after time is that Gandalf and Elrond, especially in chapter 2 and the...
  15. LyndonLeaves

Celebrimbor and the Making of the Rings

Great thoughts Anthony. For my money, "Sauron never touched them" doesn't only refer to physically touching them, but also spiritually (so no power drawing). I imagine that after Sauron put on the One Ring the elves did some deep diagnostics to ensure that their rings were not corrupted, and I...
Back